The day before the season started, MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith looked at how each team acquired their Opening Day starter. Let's fast forward to the end of the game, and do the same for each team's current (not necessarily Opening Day) closer…
- Brandon League, Mariners – Acquired from the Blue Jays with Johermyn Chavez in a December 2009 trade for Brandon Morrow.
- Chris Perez, Indians – Acquired from the Cardinals with Jess Todd in a June 2009 trade for Mark DeRosa.
- Sean Burnett, Nationals – Acquired from the Pirates with Nyjer Morgan in a June 2009 trade for Joel Hanrahan and Lastings Milledge.
- Joel Hanrahan, Pirates – Acquired in the trade that sent Burnett to Washington.
- Huston Street, Rockies – Acquired with Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith from the Athletics for Matt Holliday in November 2008.
- Leo Nunez, Marlins – Acquired from the Royals for Mike Jacobs in October 2008.
- Neftali Feliz, Rangers – Acquired from the Braves with four others in a July 2007 trade for Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay.
- Heath Bell, Padres – Acquired with Royce Ring from the Mets for Jon Adkins and Ben Johnson in November 2006.
- Matt Thornton, White Sox – Acquired from the Mariners for Joe Borchard in March 2006.
- Joe Nathan, Twins – Acquired with Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser from the Giants for A.J. Pierzynski in November 2003. Nathan has since signed a long-term contract extension.
Free Agent Signings (10)
- Francisco Cordero, Reds – Signed a contract worth $46MM over four years in November 2007.
- Francisco Rodriguez, Mets – Signed a contract worth $37MM over three years in December 2008.
- Brandon Lyon, Astros – Signed a contract worth $15MM over three years in December 2009.
- Jose Valverde, Tigers – Signed a contract worth $14MM over two years in January 2010.
- Brian Fuentes, Athletics – Signed a contract worth $10.5MM over two years in January 2011.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks – Signed a contract worth $10MM over two years in December 2010.
- Kevin Gregg, Orioles – Signed a contract worth $10MM over two years in January 2011.
- Jose Contreras, Phillies – Signed a contract worth $5.5MM over two years in November 2010. Originally signed with Philadelphia in January 2010.
- Ryan Franklin, Cardinals – Signed a contract worth $1MM over one year in January 2007. Franklin has since signed two extensions to remain in St. Louis.
- John Axford, Brewers – Signed a minor league contract in March 2008.
Draft Picks (5)
- Jonathan Broxton, Dodgers – Selected in the second round of the 2002 draft.
- Craig Kimbrel, Braves – Selected in the third round of the 2008 draft.
- Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox – Selected in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.
- Jordan Walden, Angels – Selected in the 12th round of the 2006 draft.
- Brian Wilson, Giants – Selected in the 24th round of the 2003 draft.
International Free Agent Signings (2)
- Carlos Marmol, Cubs – Signed as an amateur free agent in July 1999.
- Mariano Rivera, Yankees – Signed as an amateur free agent in February 1990.
Rule 5 Draft Picks (1)
- Joakim Soria, Royals – Selected from the Padres in December 2006.
A few of these guys are just temporary fill-ins. Andrew Bailey (draft pick), David Aardsma (trade), and Brad Lidge (trade) will take over for Fuentes, League, and Contreras, respectively, once healthy. The Blue Jays haven't had a save opportunity yet, so we don't know for sure who will fill in for the injured Frank Francisco (trade). The Rays haven't had a save opportunity yet either, and we don't know if Joel Peralta (free agent), Kyle Farnsworth (free agent), Jake McGee (draft pick), or someone else will get the call.