The Nationals named John McLaren as their interim skipper last night, but the former M's skipper was just a temporary hire. Here's the latest on the Nats as they look for a more permanent solution..
- It would come as a huge surprise if Davey Johnson was not the Nats manager Monday in Anaheim, Kilgore tweets.
- ESPN's Buster Olney (via Twitter) talked to a number of GMs, assistant GMs, and scouts over the last 24 hours and every single person said that Jim Riggleman made a major mistake.
- McLaren will serve as the Nats' interim manager until Sunday, when they wrap up a three game set against the White Sox, tweets Bill Ladson of MLB.com. McLaren is not a candidate to become the interim manager of the team for the remainder of 2011 (via Twitter).General Manager Mike Rizzo is expected to name another interim manager by Monday.
- Rizzo said that Davey Johnson is a candidate to become the next manager of the Nationals, Ladson tweets. Johnson currently serves as a senior adviser for the club.
- The GM confirmed that he has spoken to Johnson, tweets Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post. He went on to say that he will name a new interim skipper in "days, not weeks".
- Rizzo believes that Johnson would enjoy the challenge of managing the Nats, otherwise he wouldn't talk about it, Kilgore tweets. Kilgore adds that there's a great chance that Johnson will be the choice.