The Rangers and Cardinals are just a few contenders who might look to add relief help at the trade deadline. Let's take a look at right-handed relievers who could become available soon.
- Nationals: Tyler Clippard, Todd Coffey. Coffey, a free agent after the season, seems most likely to go. I'm not sure why Clippard's name has entered the rumor mill, as he's under team control through 2015 and has been dominant this year.
- Orioles: Koji Uehara, Jim Johnson, Kevin Gregg, Jeremy Accardo. I don't see why any of these guys would be off-limits. Uehara has been particularly nasty, and could close for a lot of teams.
- Padres: Heath Bell, Mike Adams, Chad Qualls, Luke Gregerson (when healthy). Like Clippard, Gregerson would be tough to pry away. Jed Hoyer should get tons of phone calls on Bell and Adams though.
- Dodgers: Matt Guerrier, Mike MacDougal, Jonathan Broxton (when healthy). I'm guessing Ned Colletti doesn't want to subtract relievers from an already-decimated pen. But Broxton is a free agent after the season and there would be teams wanting to rent him if he comes back strong.
- Mets: The Mets are only 3.5 games back in the wild card, so they might not be inclined to trade closer Francisco Rodriguez. However, there is that pesky games finished clause, which triggers a $17.5MM salary for 2012 if K-Rod finishes 28 more games. Jason Isringhausen could become trade bait if the Mets fall out of contention.
- Pirates: The Bucs are three games out in the wild card, so they probably won't be tearing up their bullpen. Still, closer Joel Hanrahan is flourishing and Chris Resop and Jose Veras have huge strikeout rates. It wouldn't hurt to just listen to offers.
- Blue Jays: They're still on the fringe of contention. If that changes for the worse the club has right-handed relievers galore: Shawn Camp, Octavio Dotel, Frank Francisco, Jason Frasor, and Jon Rauch to name a few.
- Marlins: The Marlins are just falling fast. If they decide to fold, righties Leo Nunez, Brian Sanches, and Burke Badenhop could become available. The Rockies could become sellers too if the next 30 days go poorly.
- Cubs: Carlos Marmol, Kerry Wood (when healthy), Jeff Samardzija. There's been no indication Marmol is available, but I wonder if the Cubs would listen. Most likely they prefer to keep him around. For Wood to be dealt, he'd have to be open to the idea.
- Royals: Joakim Soria. Trading Soria now would be selling low, and the Royals have never seemed open to it, though MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan says they're willing to talk about him.
- Athletics: Grant Balfour, Michael Wuertz, Brad Ziegler. All these guys are under control for next year at least, so it's unclear as to whether the A's would move one.
- Twins: The Twins have been playing better lately, but they're still nine games out. Closer Matt Capps would draw plenty of interest, and perhaps Joe Nathan could be dealt in August if healthy and effective.
- Cardinals: Ryan Franklin could be a trade candidate, if he's not released first.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors