The Rangers and Cardinals are just a few contenders who might look to add relief help at the trade deadline. Let's take a look at right-handed relievers who could become available soon.
- Nationals: Tyler Clippard, Todd Coffey. Coffey, a free agent after the season, seems most likely to go. I'm not sure why Clippard's name has entered the rumor mill, as he's under team control through 2015 and has been dominant this year.
- Orioles: Koji Uehara, Jim Johnson, Kevin Gregg, Jeremy Accardo. I don't see why any of these guys would be off-limits. Uehara has been particularly nasty, and could close for a lot of teams.
- Padres: Heath Bell, Mike Adams, Chad Qualls, Luke Gregerson (when healthy). Like Clippard, Gregerson would be tough to pry away. Jed Hoyer should get tons of phone calls on Bell and Adams though.
- Dodgers: Matt Guerrier, Mike MacDougal, Jonathan Broxton (when healthy). I'm guessing Ned Colletti doesn't want to subtract relievers from an already-decimated pen. But Broxton is a free agent after the season and there would be teams wanting to rent him if he comes back strong.
- Mets: The Mets are only 3.5 games back in the wild card, so they might not be inclined to trade closer Francisco Rodriguez. However, there is that pesky games finished clause, which triggers a $17.5MM salary for 2012 if K-Rod finishes 28 more games. Jason Isringhausen could become trade bait if the Mets fall out of contention.
- Pirates: The Bucs are three games out in the wild card, so they probably won't be tearing up their bullpen. Still, closer Joel Hanrahan is flourishing and Chris Resop and Jose Veras have huge strikeout rates. It wouldn't hurt to just listen to offers.
- Blue Jays: They're still on the fringe of contention. If that changes for the worse the club has right-handed relievers galore: Shawn Camp, Octavio Dotel, Frank Francisco, Jason Frasor, and Jon Rauch to name a few.
- Marlins: The Marlins are just falling fast. If they decide to fold, righties Leo Nunez, Brian Sanches, and Burke Badenhop could become available. The Rockies could become sellers too if the next 30 days go poorly.
- Cubs: Carlos Marmol, Kerry Wood (when healthy), Jeff Samardzija. There's been no indication Marmol is available, but I wonder if the Cubs would listen. Most likely they prefer to keep him around. For Wood to be dealt, he'd have to be open to the idea.
- Royals: Joakim Soria. Trading Soria now would be selling low, and the Royals have never seemed open to it, though MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan says they're willing to talk about him.
- Athletics: Grant Balfour, Michael Wuertz, Brad Ziegler. All these guys are under control for next year at least, so it's unclear as to whether the A's would move one.
- Twins: The Twins have been playing better lately, but they're still nine games out. Closer Matt Capps would draw plenty of interest, and perhaps Joe Nathan could be dealt in August if healthy and effective.
- Cardinals: Ryan Franklin could be a trade candidate, if he's not released first.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Santana, Braves, Mets, Manship Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Latest On Ervin Santana Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors