The trading deadline is now just a little over a month away, but for now, here's a look back at the last seven days, which were oddly enough headlined by a slew of managerial news:
- It began with Edwin Rodriguez stepping down as the Marlins manager. He was eventually replaced by 80-year-old Jack McKeon, who managed the team in their 2003 World Series championship season.
- Shockingly, Jim Riggleman resigned from the Nationals just a few days later over a contract dispute, despite having just brought the team to above .500. We saw a wide variety of media reactions, and while John McLaren was selected to manage in the interim, it didn't take long for Davey Johnson to be appointed the new manager.
- The Blue Jays made a long-term move when they locked up Yunel Escobar to a deal that will pay him $10MM over the 2012-13 seasons and includes a pair of club options. At that price, Escobar should be a bargain for the Jays.
- Phillies' starter Roy Oswalt left his start this week after just two innings, and has said that the back problems he's experiencing could be career-threatening.
- The Cardinals will be without Albert Pujols for as many as six weeks after the game's best player fractured a bone in his wrist last weekend. Here's some media reactions to the crushing blow.
- Mets fans hoping for a last-minute contract extension for Jose Reyes shouldn't hold their breath; Reyes won't discuss contract issues in-season and will hit the open market.
- Yankees fans across town shouldn't get too excited about Reyes either though, as GM Brian Cashman said this week that the superstar won't be coming to the Bronx Bombers.
- Francisco Rodriguez, on the other hand, would consider a trade to the Yankees as well as one to the Rays.
- The Phillies, Reds, and Mariners have all inquired on Ryan Ludwick.
- It sounds like the Giants will have an active month coming up. Their top priority is catching help, and they learned that George Kottaras is available. Beyond that, they're interested in Yorvit Torrealba, and they've also inquired on Mark Ellis for help in the infield.
- The Rockies will be eyeing starting pitching at this year's deadline, but they'll have some competition on that front from several other teams, including the Reds.
- The Cardinals will be looking for bullpen help, as will the Phillies, according to GM Ruben Amaro Jr.
- The Pirates acquired Josh Rodriguez from the Indians, the same player they selected in the Rule 5 Draft only to return him just a few weeks into the season. In other Bucco-related news, GM Neal Huntington is keeping his lips sealed about extension talks for Paul Maholm.
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels is scouting Japanese phenom Yu Darvish. There have been reports that the 24-year-old wants to pitch in MLB in 2012, but it would have to happen via the posting system, as he's not a free agent until 2014.
- Major League Baseball rejected Frank McCourt's deal with FOX.
- I was going to do a quick rundown of picks to sign, but the Rays have so many that they need their own bullet. The club signed both supplemental rounder Brandon Martin (bonus unknown) and second rounder Lenny Linsky (approximately $392K). They also inked first rounder Jake Hager ($963K), as well as supplemental rounders Jeff Ames ($605K) and James Harris ($490K).
- Believe it or not, other teams did indeed have early picks (I swear!) and some signed this week. The Cardinals inked first rounder Kolten Wong for $1.3MM, the Angels signed first rounder C.J. Cron for $1.467MM, and the Mets agreed to sign supplemental rounder Michael Fulmer.
- Several familiar names were released this week: The Phillies released J.C. Romero, the Indians released Jensen Lewis, the Cardinals released Miguel Batista, and the Padres requested release waivers for Jorge Cantu. To follow all of the week's transactions, use the Transactions tag, follow @mlbtrtrans on Twitter, or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors