The Red Sox are unlikely to have to pay much luxury tax this year, so they're willing to add payroll in the right trade, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). Here's the latest on some players the Red Sox could consider acquiring...
- The Red Sox aren't one of the teams pursuing Edwin Jackson, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
- The Red Sox are strongly considering Ryan Spilborghs, who earns a base salary of just $1.95MM this year, as a fourth outfielder, according to Heyman. They're impressed by Josh Reddick's performance this year and seem "off" on Carlos Beltran at the moment, Heyman reports (on Twitter).
- Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com confirms that the Red Sox are interested in Spilborghs (Twitter link).
- The Red Sox "passively inquired" on Ubaldo Jimenez (latest rumors here) and Chris Iannetta, according to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald. Lauber adds that the Red Sox haven't yet expressed interest in Spilborghs.
- The Rockies are among the teams bearing down on Boston's farm system, according to Morosi (on Twitter).