MLBTR extends condolences to the family and friends of former Major League pitcher and executive Mike Flanagan, who was died at age 59, according to the Orioles. Flanagan, the 1979 AL Cy Young Award winner, was the Orioles' GM from 2002-07 and later became a broadcaster for the club. Here are this evening’s links...
- Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com wonders if the White Sox could still sell. Now 63-64, Chicago trails Detroit by 6.5 games in the AL Central.
- Rangers starter C.J. Wilson told T.R. Sullivan and Louie Horvath of MLB.com that now is not the time to look ahead to the offseason, when he'll hit free agency and be in position to sign a lucrative contract. MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes suggested yesterday that Wilson could obtain a $100MM deal.
- Evan Rich of the Cornell Daily Sun interviewed Cornell graduate Jon Daniels about his current role as Rangers GM and how he got there.
- Scott Kazmir intends to pitch in winter ball, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney (on Twitter).
- The Rockies won't acquire Wandy Rodriguez, but they will continue to look for pitching, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (on Twitter).