Five years ago today, Alfonso Soriano stole second base in the first inning against the Brewers, becoming the fourth member of the 40-40 club. Soriano, then with the Nationals, finished with 46 homers and 41 steals before signing his massive eight-year, $136MM contract with the Cubs after the season. Jose Canseco (1988), Barry Bonds (1996), and Alex Rodriguez (1998) are the only other players that have gone 40-40 in a single season.
Here's this week's batch of links, starting with a very interesting podcast…
- Replacement Level Baseball interviewed Corey Conflenti, a center fielder for the Lodi Old Rags of the Italian Baseball League. They discussed the level of talent in Italy, the cultural differences, the styles of play, and the impact of Alex Liddi's big league callup.
- 1 Blue Jays Way interviewed Colby Rasmus during his minor league rehab assignment.
- Baseball Time In Arlington muses about the future of C.J. Wilson.
- Brotherly Glove wonders what kind of contract Ryan Howard would have received if he was able to become a free agent after the season.
- Swingin' A's reviewed the Athletics' rebuilding process (part one, part two).
- Rant Sports Indians identified Chad Durbin as a September trade candidate.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness says farewell to Jonathan Broxton.
- Camden Crazies analyzes the Mike Gonzalez–Pedro Strop.
- Pirates Prospects thinks the Pirates 2012 pitching staff may already be set.
- The Friarhood says it's time for the Padres to shut Tim Stauffer down.
- SF Giants Rumors looks through some shortstop options for the 2012 Giants.
- Meanwhile, Giants Nirvana previews the outfield free agent market.
- Call to the Pen doesn't think AL contenders need to worry about the Angels despite their strong rotation.
- The Flagrant Fan looks at how the Yankees have been doing without the injured A-Rod.
- Rant Sports Yankees says New York could be poised to make several big trades this offseason.
- Rising Apple wrote about some young players forcing their way onto the 2012 Mets.
- Blogging Mets muses about Carlos Quentin in a Mets uniform next season.
- Marlin Maniac looked at Emilio Bonifacio's season, and wonders if this is the real him.
- Through The Fence Baseball ranked the best pitchers in Dodgers history.
- Bleacher GM lists some AAAA All-Stars.
- MLB Reports wonders if MLB should put another team in Canada.
- The Hardball Times takes a second look at Ian Kinsler's fantasy value.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.