MLB.com's Joe Frisaro has a host of Marlins-related news as the team draws ever closer to its brand new stadium in 2012:
- It appears unlikely that Jack McKeon will again manage the Marlins in 2012. McKeon, 80, would be 81 next season and is likely to return to the advisor position he held from 2005 until taking the reins this year. Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Valentine are again listed as possible managerial replacements.
- With a new stadium on the horizon, owner Jeffrey Loria is ready to "do what it takes" to upgrade the organization. The club's payroll in 2012 is expected to top $70MM and could go as high as $80MM.
- The Fish would like to re-sign both Greg Dobbs and Omar Infante for the 2012 season. The veteran infielders are both free agents, but neither should be overly costly given their modest production in 2011.
- Starting pitching is a priority for the Marlins this offseason, and they'd like to add at least one left-hander. A look at the free agent market shows that the two biggest names that fit the bill will be C.C. Sabathia (assuming he opts out of his current deal) and C.J. Wilson, though it's hard to see the Marlins spending that kind of money. Beyond that, names include Erik Bedard, Mark Buehrle, and Chris Capuano.
- The Marlins are expected to be busy on the trade front, with Chris Volstad being a possible piece to be dealt. The Marlins would be selling very low on the 2005 first rounder, but with a 5.05 ERA over his last 468 2/3 Major League innings, it's not hard to see why they'd prefer to deal him before he hits arbitration.
- Selling low won't be an approach the team takes toward Hanley Ramirez. One of the Marlins' top priorities is getting their superstar healthy for Opening Day, and they aren't looking to trade him.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Chris Volstad | Greg Dobbs | Hanley Ramirez | Miami Marlins | Omar Infante
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Minor Moves: Rafael Perez, Adam Loewen, Matt Neil Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors