20 position players face contractual options; the deadline is typically three days after the World Series. About 14% of the regular season remains, but let's make some predictions.
- Ryan Doumit, Pirates: $7.25MM club option for 2012, $8.25MM club option for '13 with a $500K buyout. These options must be decided in tandem after this season, and despite Doumit's production when he's been healthy this year it's highly likely they'll be declined.
- Chris Snyder, Pirates: $6.75MM club option with a $750K buyout. Snyder has missed most of the season due to back surgery, so this will be declined.
- Yadier Molina, Cardinals: $7MM club option with a $750K buyout. This one is a lock to be exercised. Before the 2012 season begins, the Cardinals will have to discuss Molina's next contract.
- Kelly Shoppach, Rays: $3.2MM club option with a $300K buyout. Shoppach has had a rough year, and this is likely to be declined.
- Eric Hinske, Braves: $1.5MM club option with a $100K buyout. Hinske has performed about as expected, so I think this will be exercised.
- Willie Bloomquist, Diamondbacks: $1.1MM mutual option with a $150K buyout. Rarely do we see both sides of a mutual option exercised, so I'll go with declined here.
- Robinson Cano, Yankees: $14MM club option with a $2MM buyout. This will surely be exercised, and his $15MM option for 2013 is looking good too.
- Bill Hall, Giants: $4MM mutual option with a $250K buyout. Not only is this option mutual, but it's kind of an automatic decline since Hall was released by the Astros and later designated for assignment by the Giants.
- Aaron Hill, Diamondbacks: $8MM club option for 2012, $8MM club option for '13. I don't think Hill's hot hitting with Arizona is enough to keep these from being declined.
- Brandon Phillips, Reds: $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout. It sounds like this option will be exercised if an extension can't be worked out, which Phillips would consider a "slap in my face." Yes, a $12MM slap in the face.
- Yuniesky Betancourt, Brewers: $6MM club option with a $2MM buyout. This one is certain to be declined.
- Ronny Cedeno, Pirates: $3MM club option with a $200K buyout. I expect Cedeno's option to be declined, as the Pirates aim to upgrade at shortstop.
- Rafael Furcal, Cardinals: $12MM club option with a $1.3MM buyout. This is an easy choice to decline, though both sides have mutual interest in a new deal.
- Marco Scutaro, Red Sox: $6MM club option/$3MM player option with a $1.5MM buyout. This is a tough one. I think the Red Sox will decline their side of it, and it's possible Scutaro can do a little better and will decline as well.
- Casey Blake, Dodgers: $6MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout. This will certainly be declined.
- Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays: $3.5MM club option with a $500K buyout. I agree with MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith; this will be exercised.
- Aramis Ramirez, Cubs: $16MM mutual option. If club declines, Ramirez receives a $2MM buyout. If club exercises and Ramirez declines, he does not receive a buyout. Ramirez has had a strong year, and there's a case for the Cubs to exercise their side since it keeps him on a one-year deal, the team has some money to spend, and the free agent market offers nothing else. I think if the Cubs exercise at that slightly inflated price, Ramirez will not void, despite his desire for a multiyear deal. Ultimately I think in November the club will decline though, and then the two sides will discuss a possible new contract.
- Nate McLouth, Braves: $10.65MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout. Certain to be declined.
- Grady Sizemore, Indians: $8.5MM club option with a $500K buyout. Sizemore's final month should be a big factor here, but I think this will be exercised.
- Nick Swisher, Yankees: $10.25MM club option with a $1MM buyout. This one is an easy choice to exercise.
- I've got 13 position players option being declined, with seven being exercised.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors