The Blue Jays are the only team in the AL East with a losing record and they're only one game under .500. The Yankees have a healthy eight-game lead but the Orioles, Rays, Red Sox, and Jays are all within three games of a Wild Card spot. With ten days until the trade deadline, here's the latest from baseball's deepest division…
- "We're still looking around … I'm not really interested in making a trade just to make a trade, but I'll try to do what I can to add to the ballclub," said Orioles GM Dan Duquette to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com. The O's acquired Omar Quintanilla yesterday to add depth following Brian Roberts' injury.
- Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun expects the Orioles to make another trade or two prior to the deadline. He doubts they'll sell low on Jake Arrieta or Brian Matusz and says Duquette could target a hitter over a pitcher in a significant deal.
- The Yankees remain in contact with teams dangling bullpen pieces according to George A. King III of The New York Post, though Joba Chamberlain could be activated off the DL before the end of the month.
- Kevin Kernan of The New York Post makes a case for the Yankees to acquire Shane Victorino following the news of Brett Gardner's likely season-ending elbow surgery.
- WEEI.com's Alex Speier looked at the Red Sox's rotation and Josh Beckett in particular leading up to the trade deadline.