A look at items out of the National League East..
- Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is getting pressure from his top executives to fire Ozzie Guillen because they believe he has brought an unprofessional culture to the club, two people who have spoken with the front office told Joe Capozzi of The Palm Beach Post.
- The Phillies announced that Ryne Sandberg will join the team’s big league coaching staff as its new third base coach and infield instructor. The Hall of Famer had been managing in the Phillies’ minor league system and is considered by many a likely candidate to replace manager Charlie Manuel eventually.
- Manuel isn’t seeking a contract extension right now, but he stopped short of saying 2013 will be his final season, Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports (via Twitter). Manuel’s contract with the Phillies expires after next year.
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. “made no promises” to Sandberg, Gelb tweets. The 53-year-old will be permitted to interview for managerial jobs elsewhere if teams express interest.
- Rick Maese of The Washington Post looks at the unique relationship between agent Scott Boras and the Nationals front office. Despite Boras' incredible success as an agent, he said that he has no aspirations of building a team from the other side.
Ben Nicholson-Smith contributed to this post.