The Marlins should trade Giancarlo Stanton and the sooner they do it, the better, opines MLB.com’s Hal Bodley. The 23-year-old, he argues, really won’t make the difference between winning and losing as this team rebuilds. Stanton would obviously net the Marlins a strong package of prospects – players who would be ready to contribute down the road when Miami would hopefully be ready to contend. Here’s more from around baseball as we head into Friday..
- After their next free agent signing, Indians General Manager Chris Antonetti said the team has “used the vast majority of our [financial] resources” for the offseason, tweets Jordan Bastian of MLB.com. It’s safe to assume that Antonetti was referring to Brett Myers’ one-year, $7MM deal when he referred to the team’s next signing.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (video link) believes that the Blue Jays had the best offseason of any team in the majors because of their blockbuster with the Marlins and their trade for R.A. Dickey. Meanwhile, the Rangers have had the most disappointing winter thus far because of their misses on their top free agent targets.
- ESPN.com’s Buster Olney ranked the top ten infields in the majors and slotted the Rays in at No. 4. Olney writes that first baseman James Loney is likely getting his last full-time shot to show that he can be a consistent run producer.
- Antonetti also said that the recently re-acquired Russ Canzler will be among the Indians’ internal DH options this year, Bastian tweets.
- Troy Renck of The Denver Post (on Twitter) expects the Rockies to have interest in free agent Brandon Webb.