The Cardinals and Red Sox are among the contenders who may be looking for relief help come July. Others with bullpen issues at least have designs on contending, even if they're under .500. Here's a look at some relievers who might be available this summer:
- Fernando Rodney, Kyle Farnsworth, Jamey Wright, Rays.
- Jose Veras and Wesley Wright, Astros.
- Ryan Madson, Scott Downs, Jerome Williams, Angels.
- Steve Cishek, Mike Dunn, Chad Qualls, and Jon Rauch, Marlins.
- Kevin Gregg, James Russell, Carlos Marmol, Cubs.
- Huston Street, Luke Gregerson, Dale Thayer, Padres.
- Frank Francisco, LaTroy Hawkins, Brandon Lyon, Mets.
- Darren Oliver, Blue Jays.
- Jesse Crain, Matt Lindstrom, Matt Thornton, White Sox.
- Oliver Perez, Mariners.
- J.P. Howell, Matt Guerrier, Dodgers.
- Tom Gorzelanny, Mike Gonzalez, Brewers.
A few of these teams might hang on as fringe contenders, others could hang on to their better relievers for credibility's sake, and some may prefer to retain those who are under control beyond 2013 such as Cishek, Gregerson, Dunn, Russell, Lindstrom, and Thornton. Russell, a lefty with the Cubs, could have particular appeal because he is under team control through 2015 and has been successful so far.