Yankees GM Brian Cashman spent 50 minutes addressing the media on Monday, and Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger has much of the transcript. Some highlights:
- The Yankees have made, or will make, a "significant offer" to keep second baseman Robinson Cano. Cashman suggests that Cano has a chance to "experience what you just saw a little bit from Mariano," meaning that, by sticking with the Yankees, Cano would have a chance to build a legacy in New York.
- The Yankees would like to keep manager Joe Girardi. Cashman will not confirm whether the Cubs had asked to speak to him, and would not say whether he would grant the Cubs permission. Girardi is under contract until November 1. "I can’t speak to other opportunities. I can’t control what other options or interests may be out there," Cashman says of Girardi. "If you’re good at what you do, people are going to have some interest. You can’t predict the future on that. You can only control your side. But I feel we hired a good one."
- Cashman lists the starting rotation, second base, shortstop and third base as areas the Yankees might address in the offseason.
- Cashman cites signability and injuries as issues that have affected the Yankees' drafting. For example, the Yankees drafted Gerrit Cole in 2008 and did not sign him; another first-round pick, Ty Hensley, got hurt. Cashman also says the Yankees have sometimes had trouble keeping prospects healthy and moving in the right direction, mentioning Manny Banuelos as an example of the former and Dellin Betances as an example of the latter.
- The team's attempt to stay under the $189MM luxury-tax threshold is a "goal," not a "mandate," Cashman says. "It’s possible that there’s a lot of benefits to staying under that. But it’s not a mandate if it’s at the expense of a championship run."
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors