A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week, as 2013 became 2014:
- Jeff Todd previewed the top Hot Stove storylines of the new year.
- In a follow up to one of the storylines he highlighted, Jeff asked MLBTR readers when will the Rays trade David Price. Over 68% of you believe Price will be wearing a different uniform by the Trade Deadline.
- Tim Dierkes demonstrated the recent rarity of a non-Boras free agent finding a three-year deal in January or later, and took a look at the market situation for the top remaining names.
- Stephen Drew (#14 on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list) could be in line for one of those three-year free agent contracts, and Tim used projections to examine the six teams who could use him the most.
- Charlie Wilmoth detailed how the free agent closer market is changing as clubs are becoming more reluctant to over-commit in terms of money or years.
- The Brewers still haven't signed a free agent to a Major League deal, but Tim Dierkes' look at Doug Melvin's past five offseasons showed the GM is comfortable signing players later in the offseason.
- Jeff examined the use and impact of options in MLB contracts.
- Tim listed the extension candidates for each franchise.
- Tim learned the Tigers, Indians, and Orioles are among those who have inquired about reliever Luis Ayala this winter and three teams have discussed a Major League deal with reliever Carlos Marmol.
- Zach Links broke the news multiple clubs are interested in Yuniesky Betancourt, including one possible opportunty to start, and the infielder hopes to sign within the next two weeks.
- Tim was the first to report reliever Joel Hanrahan, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, is throwing off a mound ahead of schedule and is expected to throw for teams during Spring Training.
- Zach was the first to learn right-hander Jerome Williams is in the talking stages with a number of American League clubs and could be receiving offers over the next two weeks.
- Zach was first with a half dozen teams expressing interest in right-hander Brett Tomko.
- Six to eight clubs have shown varying levels of interest in reliever Kyle Farnsworth, but nothing is imminent, according to Zach.
- Charlie asked MLBTR readers which team will sign Nelson Cruz (#17 on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list) and a plurality of you see him landing with the Mariners.
- Jeff asked MLBTR readers to name the best transaction of 2013. You split your support between extensions given to Paul Goldschmidt, Dustin Pedroia, and Chris Sale; the Yankees' signing of Brian McCann; the Nationals acquiring Doug Fister; and the Braves obtaining Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in a seven-player trade with the Diamondbacks.
- Dennis Gilbert reminisced with Zach about his time as an agent and his current role as a special assistant to White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.
- Charlie posted excerpts from his interview with former MLB pitcher C.J. Nitkowski, who is now an analyst for MLB.com, CBS Sports, and MLB Network Radio.
- Jeff revisited the 2012 New Year's Day trade between the White Sox and Blue Jays, which sent reliever Jason Frasor back to Toronto in exchange for minor league pitching prospects Myles Jaye and Daniel Webb.
- Zach put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors