Bobby Wilson Rumors
We've completed the National League, so now it's time to jump over to the so-called junior circuit...
- Angels: They moved three pretty good young players to get Scott Kazmir last season, so they might prefer to hold onto the rest of their top prospects. Their best chip is someone you may not have heard of, out of options catcher Bobby Wilson. He's on the 25-man roster but has barely played as the third stringer, yet how many teams would love to have a 27-year old catcher with a very good defensive rep, a .290/.345/.425 batting line in 820 Triple-A plate appearances, and six years of team control left? Pretty much all of them. He'll never clear waivers if the Halos try to send him back to the minors.
- Athletics: Oakland has plenty of young pitching, but Billy Beane likes to hang on to those kind of guys, and for good reason. With ten infielders on the 40-man roster, someone like Jake Fox or Eric Patterson could be moved, as could outfielders Travis Buck or Gabe Gross since Michael Taylor is coming fast. Plus there's always Ben Sheets.
- Mariners: Jack Zduriencik surrendered a good amount of prospect depth this offseason by acquiring Cliff Lee, but no one will argue with that move. Dustin Ackley, the second overall pick in 2009, will make Jose Lopez expendable in short order, and they could choose to make one of two minor league outfielders - Michael Saunders or Greg Halman - available. Seattle's best trade chip might be their potential ability to absorb some money.
- Rangers: Texas is absolutely loaded with young players, so they have plenty of pieces to offer. They can move Chris Davis because Justin Smoak is knocking on the door, or they could move Derek Holland because Martin Perez isn't too far away. They dangled Max Ramirez this winter, and outfielder David Murphy is about to get expensive through arbitration, so he could find himself on the block. Bottom line: the Rangers have the pieces to go out and get anything they need or want.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Ben Sheets | Bobby Wilson | Chris Davis | David Murphy | Derek Holland | Eric Patterson | Gabe Gross | Greg Halman | Jake Fox | Jose Lopez | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Max Ramirez | Michael Saunders | Oakland Athletics | Seattle Mariners | Texas Rangers | Top Trade Chips | Travis Buck
Some news items as we say goodbye to March and hello to another great baseball-filled April...
- ESPN's Rob Neyer thinks the Rangers should just go ahead and acquire Mike Lowell, since the reported $3MM gap between Texas and Boston is a small price to pay for solidifying the Rangers' first base platoon. Given the number of conflicting reports about the deal, it's hard to say if a Lowell-to-Texas trade is imminent or a longshot at this point.
- Tim Redding talks to The Denver Post's Jim Armstrong about being assigned to Colorado's Triple-A team. Four days ago, Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies pointed out that Redding has an opt-out clause he can use if he finds a spot on another team's 25-man roster. That's unlikely; Ringolsby says the Mariners scouted Redding but came away unimpressed.
- The Indians were hoping to hold up Michael Brantley's service clock, but his strong Spring Training and Russell Branyan's injury forced the club's hand, writes Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com. Brantley will now be Cleveland's starting left fielder on Opening Day.
- Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times takes a look at Angels catcher Bobby Wilson, who is out of options and faces a tough task in finding a roster spot given the Mike Napoli-Jeff Mathis combo behind the plate in Los Angeles. If the Angels are forced to put Wilson on waivers, you'd figure that several teams would be interested in a catcher who has a solid .283/.338/.423 line in 2642 minor league plate appearances.
- Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com chatted with fans about a number of A's and Giants-related topics, including Urban's belief that the extensions for Matt Cain, Brian Wilson and Jeremy Affeldt may have been inspired by San Francisco's confidence in their upcoming crop of position players.
- In another online chat, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch mentioned that the Cardinals are interested in acquiring a left-handed power bat for the bench. Strauss noted the club's "history of eleventh-hour spring training moves."
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Bobby Wilson | Boston Red Sox | Cleveland Indians | Colorado Rockies | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Michael Brantley | Mike Lowell | Oakland Athletics | San Francisco Giants | Seattle Mariners | St. Louis Cardinals | Tim Redding
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford AL East Rumors: Drew, Balfour, Orioles, Red Sox Orioles Made Offers To Balfour, Axford Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday Astros In Serious Discussions With Mike Morse West Notes: Morales, Kemp, Sandoval, Baker Quick Hits: Diaz, Benoit, Axford, Feldman, Ibanez NL Central Rumors: Boggs, Cubs, Pirates, Burnett D'Backs Notes: Towers, Tanaka, Garza, Santana NL East Rumors: Zimmermann, Mets, Blevins, Braves
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors