- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Giants Acquire Jake Peavy
- Cardinals Sign A.J. Pierzynski
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- David Price Rumors
- Troy Tulowitzki Rumors
- Jon Lester Rumors
- Matt Kemp Rumors
- Jonathan Papelbon Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Cardinals’ Pitching Search
- Rockies Plan To Keep LaTroy Hawkins
- Ryan Zimmerman Has Grade 3 Hamstring Strain
- Jon Lester Scratched From Tomorrow’s Start
- Quick Hits: Cards, Fish, Willingham, Sox, Kemp, Lindstrom
- Phillies Have Not Had “Meaningful Dialogue” On Hamels
- Diamondbacks Shopping Gerardo Parra
- Dodgers Designate Scott Elbert For Assignment
- Minor Moves: Joe Saunders, George Kottaras, Matt Guerrier
- Rays “Talking And Willing” To Trade David Price
- Astros Open To Trading Keuchel, McHugh, Cosart
- Orioles-Nationals Television Dispute Reaches Litigation
- Matt Cain To See Dr. James Andrews
- Nightengale’s Latest: Hamels, Phillies, Dodgers, Lester, Price
- Stark’s Latest: Lester, Burnett, Lee, Kennedy, Lackey, Suzuki
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Derrick Turnbow Rumors
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are one of five teams in serious talks for free agent reliever Derrick Turnbow. A large-market team among those five made a Major League offer to Turnbow. Kovacevic says Turnbow could sign before Christmas.
The Rockies, Giants, and Tigers have also been linked to Turnbow, who stopped pitching in July of this year due to a slight labrum tear. We’ve also heard the Marlins are in the mix.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers avoided arbitration with shortstop Ramon Santiago. He’ll get $825K in 2009.
Morosi also reports that the Tigers have been in contract with Derrick Turnbow‘s agent. Turnbow has also drawn interest from the Rockies, Pirates, and Giants. He’ll have a throwing session for scouts in mid-January.
8:40pm: Rosenthal says the Rockies and Nats are discussing a Redding for Taveras swap.
4:06pm: Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune says the Rockies have had internal discussions about Henry Blanco. I imagine they’d have to ship out Yorvit Torrealba first.
3:17pm: Troy Renck learned from team sources that the Rockies will not trade Gonzalez this winter.
1:25pm: MLB.com’s Bill Ladson says the Nats and Rockies met for a half hour yesterday, talking about Redding and Carlos Gonzalez. At the trade deadline, the Nationals wanted Dexter Fowler for Redding. Really?
1:57am: Rockies rumors for Tuesday…
- According to Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post, the Rockies have discussed trading for Nationals starter Tim Redding. Redding is under team control for two more years. On one hand the last thing the Nationals can spare is pitching, but on the other Redding is getting pricey and is a back-end guy anyway.
- Renck contends that the Nationals maintain some interest in Willy Taveras. Ken Rosenthal wrote recently that the Nats "aren’t terribly enamored" of the speedy outfielder.
- The Rockies are one of three teams confirmed to be in on Derrick Turnbow, who will work out for teams in January. The Pirates and Giants have also expressed interest.
- Sometime in January, the Rockies will look into a long-term extension for starter Ubaldo Jimenez.
5:29pm: A handful of teams have expressed interest in Doug Mientkiewicz, reports Jenifer Langosch. He expects to sign within a few weeks, and his agent will meet with the Pirates this week.
4:56pm: Kovacevic confirmed that the Pirates are in negotiations with Eckstein. The Orioles and Padres are also said to be in on him. As for Wilson: the Dodgers are said to be exasperated by the Pirates’ asking price.
- Kovacevic on Jack Wilson: the Tigers are out, the Dodgers are quiet lately, and the Twins are in. Biertempfel says the Orioles continue to watch from afar. Wilson’s contract is a sticking point for all suitors.
- Kovacevic believes the Pirates have at least not ruled out the idea of pursuing Pedro Martinez.
- Derrick Turnbow will throw for scouts in mid-January, so he probably won’t sign until then. The Pirates and Giants are among eight teams that have expressed interest.
- The Pirates seem likely to make a Rule 5 pick this year.
- With Pirates target Mark Loretta signing with the Dodgers, Biertempfel wonders if the Bucs may pursue David Eckstein or Craig Counsell.
9:22pm: Baggarly says Brian Sabean touched base with 25 teams today. Baggarly does not buy recent rumors connecting the Giants to Cantu, Encarnacion, and Hank Blalock.
6:08pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News provides the Giants rumors…
- Pat Burrell would love to play for the Giants, but he’s far down on the team’s list due to defensive concerns.
- The Giants offered Derrick Turnbow a non-guaranteed contract. The Pirates are another team eyeing Turnbow.
- Jonathan Sanchez is a popular name in trade talks. Baggarly doesn’t foresee a Sanchez for Edwin Encarnacion or Jorge Cantu straight up type deal.
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are in talks with free agent reliever Derrick Turnbow. Kovacevic notes that Turnbow stopped pitching in July this year due to a slight labrum tear. Turnbow, 31 in January, hasn’t shown any control since 2005.
Tom Haudricout of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Jeff Weaver has a 6.52 ERA in 29 innings in Triple-A Nashville and can ask for his release next Sunday if he doesn’t see an opportunity with the Brewers as realistic. Weaver had no spring training, so he’s still in rough form. Whether or not that form improves has yet to be determined. The Brewers currently have two struggling starters in Dave Bush and Seth McClung who just replaced Carlos Villanueva in the rotation.
In that same piece, we find that Derrick Turnbow has "suffered a near-total command meltdown" in Nashville. In 6 outings, he has pitched 4 1/3 innings, allowed five hits, seven earned runs, and a jaw-dropping 15 walks! Still, there’s no plans for his release. Writes Haudricourt,
"’As long as we’re paying him what we’re paying him, there’s no sense in doing that,’ [Brewers GM Doug] Melvin said. "It’s not like he’s taking somebody’s job.’"
Turnbow is owed $3.2MM.
By Nat Boyle
Derrick Turnbow has accepted his assignment to Triple A Nashville, rather than forfeit his remaining salary. Four teams (the Mets not among them) had interest in trading for Turnbow. Brewers GM Doug Melvin was frank with MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy about the situation – teams wanted him to eat much of the $2.5MM Turnbow is owed, but weren’t offering decent prospects.
Turnbow passed through waivers because no team wanted to take on his salary while keeping him in the bigs.
After being designated for assignment back on May 5, Jason Michaels has been traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for, what else, a player to be named later. As Tim noted on Monday, Michaels has been pretty terrible so far this year. Not that he was so hot during his tenure in Cleveland. He wasn’t able to get his OBP above .330 or his SLG above .400. Not so hot for a corner outfielder.
The Pirates options OF Nyjer Morgan to Triple A to make room for Michaels. The Bucs now have two open spots on the 40-man roster. Feel free to speculate.
In other recently-designated news, it is believed that the Brewers have placed reliever Derrick Turnbow on waivers. The former closer was DFA a week ago, so something needs to be done soon. Tom Haudricourt believes he could clear waivers by Friday.
If he clears, he could accept an assignment to Triple A with the Brewers. Otherwise he’d become a free agent and forfeit the remainder of this $3.2MM salary.
Posted by Joe Pawlikowski.
Ken Rosenthal has a new column; let’s take a look.
- Aside from Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., Rosenthal suggests Walt Jocketty could look to trade veterans Paul Bako, Scott Hatteberg, David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt, and Kent Mercker.
- Most of the Marlins’ best players will reach arbitration for the first time after this season, which could prompt a trade or two.
- Rosenthal expects collusion investigations to go nowhere.
- The Brewers don’t plan on paying any of the $2.5MM remaining on Derrick Turnbow‘s contract in order to trade him. They might end up losing him and paying it anyway, however.