- Adam Wainwright Could Be Out For Season
- Rangers, Angels Reach Agreement On Hamilton Deal
- Blue Jays Release Ricky Romero
- Ben Zobrist To Have Knee Surgery
- Joe Nathan Out For Year With Torn UCL & Tendon
- Mariners To Sign Carlos Quentin
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Jeff Beliveau To Undergo Surgery For Torn Labrum
- D-Backs Sign Kevin Frandsen To Minor League Deal
- Cubs Promote Addison Russell
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Chris Perez Opts Out Of Brewers Contract
- AL East Notes: Papelbon, Holt, Romero, Paredes
- Loria: No Serious Discussion Of Managerial Change
- AL Notes: Fields, Holt, Hamilton
- Hamilton Trade Expected To Be Finalized Soon
- Minor Moves: Snyder, Dykstra, Redmond, Roberts
- Cardinals Likely To Replace Wainwright From Within
- NL Notes: Nationals, Padres, Guerrero
- MLBTR Originals
- AL East Notes: Yankees, Uehara, Rays
- NL Notes: Wainwright, Hamels, Dodgers, DH
- White Sox Designate Eric Surkamp For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Owings, Balfour, Blue Jays
- Adam Wainwright Could Be Out For Season
- Cafardo On Hamels, Soriano, Red Sox
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Guillermo Moscoso Rumors
On this date in 1986, the Mets and Twins completed a five-player trade involving former first rounder Billy Beane. Now the Athletics’ GM, Beane completed a trade today, obtaining Seth Smith from Colorado for Guillermo Moscoso and Josh Outman. Here are the latest Athletics-related links…
- Beane says the Athletics are still looking for right-handed hitting outfielder depth, Joe Stiglich of the Bay Area News Group tweets. Michael Taylor will have to play his way into the picture, according to Stiglich.
- John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the A's are pursuing a Jonny Gomes/Ryan Ludwick type for depth. The A's haven't ruled out Johnny Damon, Shea tweets.
- Outman told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that the trade was "bittersweet," but that he's "not mad by any means," Pitching so far above sea level will be an adjustment for the fly ball pitcher, however.
- Moscoso told Slusser that he's "in shock," although he's looking forward to the opportunity in Colorado.
The Athletics acquired outfielder Seth Smith from the Rockies for righty Guillermo Moscoso and lefty Josh Outman, according to the Rockies' Twitter feed. The A's are a somewhat surprising match for Smith, but they did need corner outfield help after losing Josh Willingham and David DeJesus to free agency. Josh Reddick and Coco Crisp round out Oakland's outfield.
Smith, a 29-year-old left-handed hitter, batted .284/.347/.483 with 15 home runs in a career-high 533 plate appearances for the Rockies last year. The corner outfielder has struggled against southpaws in his career. Smith (pictured) is under team control through 2014, and MLBTR reported last night that he'll earn $2.415MM in 2012. The Rays, Mariners, Braves, and Mets are among the other teams that showed interested in Smith this winter. He became expendable after the Rockies signed Michael Cuddyer for $31.5MM in December.
Moscoso, 28, had his first prolonged big league exposure last year for the A's. He posted a 3.38 ERA, 5.2 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 0.98 HR/9, and 26.8% groundball rate in 128 innings. His flyball/pitch-to-contact approach might not play well at Coors Field. Originally signed by the Tigers, Moscoso was traded to the Rangers in December of '08 for Gerald Laird and then to the A's a year ago for Ryan Kelly. Prior to the 2010 season, Baseball America wrote, "Moscoso is ready for a big league role, either as a back-of-the-rotation starter, a long reliever, or a swingman."
Outman, 27, tossed 58 1/3 big league innings last year and another 78 1/3 at Triple-A. He's been a useful starter in the Majors, with a chunk of missed time due to June 2009 Tommy John surgery. Outman was drafted by the Phillies in 2005 and traded to Oakland in '08 as part of the Joe Blanton deal. Prior to that season, BA said Outman profiled as a number three starter. Now, he'll join Moscoso in what Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd called a "raging competition" for rotation spots. The Rockies are actually close to adding a veteran starter to the mix for more depth, tweets Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post.
Photo courtesy of Icon SMI.
11:44am: The Athletics have acquired Guillermo Moscoso from the Rangers, reports Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus (on Twitter). Oscar Prieto Rojas first reported the deal (on Twitter). Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News tweets that Texas will receive minor league right-hander Ryan Kelly.
The 27-year-old Moscoso was designated for assignment just yesterday. He spent the majority of 2010 pitching for Texas' Triple-A affiliate, posting a 5.18 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in 123 1/3 innings. He has a 3.46 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in parts of six minor league seasons, and his brief major league career features a 4.30 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 4.9 BB/9 in 11 appearances. The Rangers originally acquired Moscoso from the Tigers in exchange for Gerald Laird.
Oakland acquired Kelly from the Pirates in exchange for Corey Wimberly just last month. The 23-year-old had a 4.20 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9 in 75 innings for Pittsburgh's Single-A affiliate in 2010, almost all in relief.
1:21am: Morosi says the second pitching prospect is indeed Melo.
12:12am: Morosi says an agreement has been reached, and the second prospect is a pitcher. There’s speculation that prospect could be Carlos Melo, as he fits Rosenthal’s description.
11:27pm: Ken Rosenthal says the Tigers acquired Laird for Moscoso and a second prospect. The second prospect "is a 17-year-old who spent last season in the Dominican Summer League." Could it be shortstops Samuel Ortiz or Domingo Gonzales? Pitchers Rayni Guichardo or Carlos Melo? The deal will be announced Monday. Laird, a Scott Boras client, is under team control through 2010.
Rosenthal adds that the Tigers are considering Adam Everett and Nick Punto as shortstop options.
9:26pm: According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, "The Tigers and Texas Rangers have made significant progress toward a trade that would send catcher Gerald Laird to Detroit and pitching prospect Guillermo Moscoso to the Rangers." It’s not known whether the Tigers would include anyone else.
Baseball America ranks Moscoso tenth among Tigers prospects, noting shoulder woes but suggesting a high ceiling. They say he could end up a #3 or #4 starter. He’s drawn some comparisons to Jair Jurrjens.