Trade Rumors Apps
- White Sox To Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Latest On Hyeon-jong Yang
- West Notes: Robertson, Astros, Sandoval, Kennedy
- Cafardo On Fowler, Astros, Hammel, Miley
- Indians Designate Scott Barnes For Assignment
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Upton, Angels
- Indians Acquire Charles Brewer
- Quick Hits: Twins, Albers, Bavasi, Scherzer
- Dodgers Acquire Mike Bolsinger, Designate Jarret Martin
- AL East Notes: Yankees Roster, Joyce, Rays Managerial Finalists
- Minor Moves: Lannan, Cisnero, Savery, Laffey, Britton, Triunfel
- Pablo Sandoval Rumors: Saturday
- Orioles To Sign Rey Navarro To Major League Deal
- NL Notes: Kemp, Padres, Tomas, Phillies
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 7
- West Notes: Giants, Baldoquin, Hultzen
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Matt Treanor Rumors
More links as the weekend draws closer…
- MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers signed catcher Matt Treanor to a minor league deal. The former Tiger struggled to stay healthy this year.
- The Dodgers signed outfielder Brian Barton to a minor league deal, according to Hernandez. The 27-year-old has hit just .268/.354/.392 in 179 big league plate appearances, all coming in 2008.
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson has learned that the Nationals are not interested in Johnny Damon because they're trying to improve their defense.
- David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution tweets that Damon has some interest in signing with the Braves. The outfielder would have to be willing to take a pay cut to join the club, in O'Brien's opinion.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the D'Backs have made Kelly Johnson an offer. The details aren't clear, but Piecoro guesses it's a one-year deal worth $2MM.
- Dodgers' GM Ned Colletti said that any talks with Cincinnati are "all but dead," according to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times. Yesterday we heard the two teams were exploring an Aaron Harang trade.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the Tigers, Giants and Royals have interest in Jack Cust. ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick says the Mariners may be the favorites to sign Cust.
- Jorge Arangure Jr. of ESPN.com hears that Jose Contreras is narrowing his options down and preparing to sign. His agent says "there are some interesting opportunities in the bullpen."
- Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com says that with his options dwindling, Miguel Tejada might have to slide over to third to be rewarded with a contract.
- Claudio Vargas' deal with the Brewers is worth $900K, says Tom Haudricourt of The Journal Sentinel. The righty could also earn another $400K in incentives.
- O'Brien mentions that Adam LaRoche said there's been no contact from the Braves that he knows of. Earlier we learned that some teams were put off by LaRoche's asking price.
- Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the Padres have named Jaron Madison scouting director. Madison spent the last two years working as the assistant scouting director in St. Louis.
- Venezuelan reporter Efrain Zavarce says that Kelvim Escobar has signed with…a Venezuelan Winter League team. He'll pitch in relief tomorrow, and the Rays will have someone in attendance.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Harang | Adam LaRoche | Arizona Diamondbacks | Atlanta Braves | Brian Barton | Cincinnati Reds | Claudio Vargas | Detroit Tigers | Jack Cust | Johnny Damon | Jose Contreras | Kansas City Royals | Kelly Johnson | Kelvim Escobar | Los Angeles Dodgers | Matt Treanor | Miguel Tejada | Milwaukee Brewers | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Tampa Bay Rays | Transactions | Washington Nationals
When you prepare the turkey, don't forget to add these tidbits for flavor…
- According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees GM Brian Cashman will deal with his own free agents before moving to others. "I'll talk to our guys first," Cashman told Carig. "And after I have my conversation with our guys, I'll be full blown into the marketplace." For his part, Johnny Damon wants to return.
- White Sox GM Ken Williams slammed his closer, Bobby Jenks, once again for a lack of conditioning. With Jenks set to receive a raise from his 2009 salary of $5.6MM, a trade could be in the offing. Williams isn't exactly raising Jenks' value around the league, however.
- The Red Sox have finalized their coaching staff for 2010.
- Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com report that Matt Treanor will play winter ball with Toros del Este of the Dominican Republic in an effort to show teams he is ready for 2010.
- That deal Ken Griffey Jr. signed with the Mariners could be worth as much as $3.9MM. Seattle also added several scouts.
- NPB Tracker profiles possible MLB jumper Hisanori Takahashi.
- Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Pirates are looking at the catcher market.
- Marty Noble believes the Marlins wouldn't trade Josh Johnson in-division.
Marcus Thames and Matt Treanor became free agents today, according to MLB.com's Jason Beck. Both former Tigers were non-tender candidates anyway, but apparently they've been outrighted or released.
Thames, 33 in March, hit .252/.323/.453 in 294 plate appearances while playing 125 innings in left field and spending the rest of his time at DH. Thames has played a little first base and right field in his career as well.
Treanor, 34 in March, had only 14 plate appearances this year due to a hip injury. He caught 524 innings for the Marlins back in '08, earning him a $750K contract with the Tigers in December.
Links for Thursday night…
- Brian Cashman phoned Doug Melvin to explain that he hadn’t called earlier because the Yanks have "a lot of things going on." The Brewers GM said he’s "probably going to hang on to" Mike Cameron.
- Ozzie Guillen spoke with Bobby Abreu and said "interest exists" from the White Sox perspective.
- GM Dave Dombrowski was part of the reason Matt Treanor chose the Tigers.
- T.R. Sullivan continues to track interest in Ben Sheets, and doesn’t see the Yankees being very aggressive on that front.
- Adam Dunn and Pat Burrell don’t deserve raises if you ask Rob Neyer, but he knows they’re likely to get them.
- Kerry Wood sounds happy to be in Cleveland and has "no desire to ever start again."
- The other top reliever to be introduced today, J.J. Putz, said he expected to become a Tiger.
THURSDAY, 11:03am: This deal is done, according to the AP. The Tigers will go with a Gerald Laird-Matt Treanor tandem at catcher for ’09.
WEDNESDAY, 2:13pm: Dan Connolly learned that Orioles president Andy MacPhail has been informed that Treanor agreed to a contract with the Tigers.
TUESDAY, 11:38pm: Morosi says the Tigers are close to signing Treanor to a one-year deal.
4:40pm: According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers have had recent talks for free agent catcher Matt Treanor. They’d discussed a trade with the Marlins for him prior to his release. The Orioles are also known to be in discussions with Treanor.
Treanor, 33 in March, hit .238/.306/.301 in 234 plate appearances (the highest total of his career). He threw out 25.4% of attempted basestealers in ’08, 14.3% in ’07.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins released catcher Matt Treanor. It made sense to do it now rather than Friday, to create roster space for a possible Rule 5 pick.
Treanor, 33 in March, hit .238/.306/.301 in 234 plate appearances this year. The Orioles were linked to him yesterday.
7:05pm: Peter Schmuck names a few more catchers on Baltimore’s radar: Henry Blanco and Matt Treanor.
2:15pm: Steve Melewski of MASN Online talked to Dan Evans, who represents free agent pitcher Kenshin Kawakami. Evans said he had a productive meeting with the Orioles and expects to have more. He’s been contacting many clubs to gauge interest in Kawakami.
The Orioles also engaged talks with Evans for Gregg Zaun, who could return to Baltimore as the veteran mentor for Matt Wieters. A few clubs have kicked the tires on Zaun, but he doesn’t have any serious bids yet.
Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun says the Orioles met with Braden Looper‘s agent at the Winter Meetings, but their interest level is not known.
Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel has the latest on the Marlins’ trade talks for a catcher.
The Rangers could part with Max Ramirez or Jarrod Saltalamacchia, but want a frontline starter type such as Chris Volstad, Josh Johnson, or Ricky Nolasco. The Marlins aren’t willing to do that, but instead could flip Jonathan Sanchez to Texas if they get him. Or, they could send Anibal Sanchez if they add a starter.
The Marlins also have an eye on Pittsburgh’s Ronny Paulino. Meanwhile current Marlin Matt Treanor could be non-tendered or traded for a minor piece.
- The Cubs and Marlins haven’t discussed Jeremy Hermida in quite a while. In general, the Fish may be reluctant to sell low on Hermida. Berardino agrees that the idea of the Marlins acquiring Jason Bartlett doesn’t make sense.
- The Marlins might be planning a "low-wattage run" at Ivan Rodriguez.
- Catcher Matt Treanor is a non-tender candidate, so the Marlins may move him before Friday.
We’ve added a few new Winter Meetings preview to the collection…
- Yahoo’s Tim Brown runs through plans for all of the American and National League teams.
- Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the Rockies are all about left-handed relief help. They’ve got several trade chips to work with.
- Jim Salisbury of the Philadelphia Inquirer has the Phillies covered. You know the plan: starting pitcher, outfielder.
- Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reminds us of the Cardinals’ wish list: starter, closer, lefthanded reliever. Arthur Rhodes would fit, but he’s leaning toward the Reds. Strauss wonders if John Mozeliak can match up with the Blue Jays to find relief help.
- The Twins still want to add a shortstop or third baseman according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, though several options have already been eliminated. Neal summarizes the players on the radar. The Twins are also looking for bullpen help.
- Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune discusses the Padres. Kevin Towers will keep the Jake Peavy talks going with the Cubs while also searching for a shortstop and veteran catcher.
- Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reminds us that Peavy and a left-handed hitting outfielder are on the Cubs’ wish list. The bat comes first, says Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star says Dayton Moore has already accomplished his main goals, and now looks to replenish his right-handed relief. The Royals would also like to add a proven middle infielder and seem to have a glut of corner/DH types.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic and Jack Magruder of the East Valley Tribune analyze the Diamondbacks. Josh Byrnes seeks a second baseman, left-handed reliever, and pitching in general. Miguel Montero is the top trade chip. They have about $10MM to spend, less if Brandon Lyon accepts arbitration.
- Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News says the Rangers could trade Gerald Laird, Hank Blalock, Kevin Millwood, or Vicente Padilla.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel talked to Doug Melvin about C.C. Sabathia, who still hasn’t reacted to their offer. If Sabathia and Ben Sheets leave, Melvin could add two starters. Melvin also said it’d be too risky to trade J.J. Hardy and start Alcides Escobar at short. Rickie Weeks has drawn interest, but Melvin would require "a pretty good hitter" in return. Mike Cameron is a more likely trade chip. As for the team’s closer search, Melvin doesn’t expect to be in on the big names.
- Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post says the Marlins probably won’t steal headlines at these Winter Meetings as they did in ’07. Still, Jorge Cantu, Matt Treanor, and Jeremy Hermida may be dealt. The Fish have been "actively shopping" Treanor and Hermida. The Marlins have mild interest in free agents Ivan Rodriguez and Carl Pavano.
- Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune says Ken Williams has asked the Reds about Homer Bailey. Could the Reds match up for Jermaine Dye? The White Sox hope to add more MLB-ready starting pitching and maybe a backup catcher.
- The Orioles need starting pitching, with a slew of names under consideration according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun: A.J. Burnett, Paul Byrd, Jon Garland, Mark Hendrickson, Braden Looper, Randy Wolf, Kenshin Kawakami, Koji Uehara, Bartolo Colon, and Matt Clement. The O’s also hope to extend Brian Roberts, trade Ramon Hernandez, and find a shortstop. They have interest in Adam Everett.
- Roch Kubatko of MASN Online explains what it’s like for a reporter at the Meetings.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Adam Everett | Alcides Escobar | Arizona Diamondbacks | Arthur Rhodes | Baltimore Orioles | Bartolo Colon | Ben Sheets | Braden Looper | Brandon Lyon | Brian Roberts | C.C. Sabathia | Carl Pavano | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Gerald Laird | Hank Blalock | Homer Bailey | Ivan Rodriguez | J.J. Hardy | Jake Peavy | Jeremy Hermida | Jermaine Dye | Jon Garland | Jorge Cantu | Kansas City Royals | Kenshin Kawakami | Kevin Millwood | Koji Uehara | Mark Hendrickson | Matt Clement | Matt Treanor | Miami Marlins | Miguel Montero | Mike Cameron | Milwaukee Brewers | Minnesota Twins | Paul Byrd | Philadelphia Phillies | Ramon Hernandez | Randy Wolf | Rickie Weeks | San Diego Padres | Texas Rangers | Toronto Blue Jays | Vicente Padilla