- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Garrett Richards Out 6-9 Months
- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Latest On Rusney Castillo
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Dodgers Acquire Roberto Hernandez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Padres Release Brooks Conrad, Hector Ambriz
- Cuddyer Pulled Off Waivers After Hamstring Issue
- Red Sox, Tigers Are Front-Runners For Castillo
- Minor Moves: Obispo, Brown, Rodriguez
- Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham
- Diamondbacks Outright Bradin Hagens
- Garrett Richards Out Six To Nine Months For Knee Surgery
- NL East Links: Phillies, Colon, Cabrera, Braves
- Marcell Ozuna Joins Boras Corporation
- Neal Cotts Staying With Rangers
- Phillies Notes: Burnett, Amaro, Tomas, Kendrick
- Astros Could Still Reach Deal With Brady Aiken
- NL West Links: Quackenbush, Peralta, Upton
- NFL $100K Play-Action Contest At DraftKings
- Quick Hits: Colon, Angels, Cardinals, Stanton, Cashner
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Miguel Cabrera Rumors
Gammons says the Marlins and Angels are "serious about moving Cabrera to the Angels." The current rumor: Howie Kendrick, Nick Adenhart, Jeff Mathis, and one other prospect.
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 2:41pm: Joe Capozzi agrees – separate deals if anything.
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 1:29pm: MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro has a source indicating that the Tigers are interested in Willis or Cabrera and not necessarily both.
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 12:23pm: According to Danny Knobler, the Tigers feel they’re being used by the Marlins to jack up the price for other teams like the Angels. The trade talks between Detroit and Florida are characterized as discussions rather than trade negotiations. Knobler says Dombrowski doesn’t want to trade Maybin, but I can’t see this happening otherwise.
FROM 12-4-07 at 11:02am:
Ken Rosenthal has an update with a whopper of a trade rumor.
- The Marlins and Tigers are talking about a monster deal that would send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis over to the Tigers for Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin, and others. Dave Dombrowski has always worked well with the Marlins, his former team.
- Rosenthal confirms Bob Dutton’s assertion – the Royals signing Jose Guillen may not stop them from getting Andruw Jones too.
- The O’s are trying to move Ramon Hernandez. They could sign Michael Barrett if they move him, or else get Jeff Mathis or Mike Napoli from L.A. in a Tejada deal.
- The Tribe hasn’t decided whether to trade Cliff Lee, though there’s been plenty of buzz so far.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andrew Miller | Andruw Jones | Baltimore Orioles | Cameron Maybin | Cleveland Indians | Cliff Lee | Detroit Tigers | Dontrelle Willis | Jeff Mathis | Jose Guillen | Kansas City Royals | Miami Marlins | Michael Barrett | Miguel Cabrera | Mike Napoli | Ramon Hernandez
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 9:38am: Tom Haudricourt confirms that the Brewers will have access to Rolen’s medical records. That the Brewers will take a look indicates they are probably serious about Rolen.
FROM 12-4-07 at 12:14am:
Joe Strauss has a new one in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, presumably for the Tuesday morning edition.
- The Cards have already met twice with the Brewers to talk about Scott Rolen. They’re providing medical information to the Brewers, and appear flexible on the amount of salary they need to cover. Teams interested in Rolen can speak directly to the third baseman’s doctor and surgeon. Strauss confirms the Rangers and Giants as two other interested parties.
- The Rolen deal may hinge on Miguel Cabrera being traded first. The Cards poked their head in but wouldn’t part with Colby Rasmus.
- The Cards are likely to create a third base vacancy, so they’ve been talking to the Orioles about Miguel Tejada.
- As you know, the Cards met with the Padres to discuss Jim Edmonds. The Friars also have their eye on Anthony Reyes. Maybe the Cards can pry Kevin Kouzmanoff loose?
- Aside from the aforementioned Brewers, Orioles, and Padres, John Mozeliak also met with the Mariners today.
- A few notes from Brian Cashman…the Yanks have talked to Luis Vizcaino‘s agent about bringing him back. Also, they’ve yet to inquire on any free agent center fielders.
- Miguel Cabrera has been talking to Ozzie Guillen daily since the season ended. The article makes Cabrera sound like a big kid.
- The Red Sox have had a couple of inquiries on Julian Tavarez.
- Five or six teams have inquired on Shannon Stewart, who wants a two-year pact apparently.
- The Phillies, contrary to previous reports, are not interested in re-signing Jon Lieber.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, the chances of the Astros trading for a Miguel Tejada were rated a 2. The ‘Stros don’t want to give up the farm. That’s also why Joe Nathan is unlikely for Houston.
- Scott Boras recently called Ed Wade to sell him on Eric Gagne, Jeff Weaver, and Rodrigo Lopez. Wade seemed unimpressed.
- Nothing much new on the Padres front – still interested in Kosuke Fukudome, Geoff Jenkins, Jim Edmonds, Darin Erstad, and Mark Prior.
- Brian Cashman’s phone has been ringing off the hook about Melky Cabrera.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Darin Erstad | Eric Gagne | Geoff Jenkins | Houston Astros | Jeff Weaver | Jim Edmonds | Joe Nathan | Jon Lieber | Julian Tavarez | Kosuke Fukudome | Luis Vizcaino | Mark Prior | Melky Cabrera | Miami Marlins | Miguel Cabrera | Miguel Tejada | Minnesota Twins | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Rodrigo Lopez | San Diego Padres | Scott Boras | Shannon Stewart | St. Louis Cardinals
Let’s round ‘em up.
- Indians GM Mark Shapiro will soon get a contract extension offer for C.C. Sabathia approved by ownership. Then he’ll put that in front of Sabathia’s agent, with an eye on resolving the situation one way or another before Spring Training. Shapiro’s model will not be Johan Santana‘s upcoming deal but rather Jake Peavy‘s three-year, $50MMish extension.
- White Sox outfielders Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson might be on the fringe. The Marlins, if I recall correctly, once had interest in Anderson as a center field option.
- Miguel Cabrera is out to prove he’s a good athlete and can stay at third base – he’s beginning a rigorous workout program like nothing he’s ever done before.
- The D’Backs could pursue Joe Blanton or Dan Haren, while the Yankees may turn to Haren if they fail to acquire Johan.
- The Yankees are receiving a lot of interest in The Farnz, according to Brian Cashman.
UPDATE, 12-3-07 at 5:48pm: Jayson Stark confirms the Reds’ interest in Willis. However he suggests that the Marlins would ask for Homer Bailey and then some in return.
FROM 12-3-07 at 11:41am:
SI.com’s Jon Heyman checks in with the latest hot stove banter he’s hearing. There’s some confusion here as Heyman has contrary info to other published sources.
- Heyman believes Johan Santana is "more likely than not" to get traded at the Meetings, and quite possibly today.
- Heyman says the Red Sox and Yankees are the two teams Santana would waive his veto power for, running contrary to LENIII’s recent note.
- Heyman reports that the Mets offered Gomez/Humber/Heilman for Erik Bedard, though as you may recall Roger Rubin said it was Lastings Milledge and not Gomez. Whatever it was, the Orioles weren’t impressed with the offer. Heyman says the Mets feel they still have a chance. The Dodgers, Mariners, and loser of Santana will be in on Bedard as well.
- Heyman seems to indicate the Marlins are still asking for Adenhart and Ervin Santana in a Miguel Cabrera deal, despite Peter Gammons’ comment this morning.
- The Reds may pursue Dontrelle Willis. I was thinking they might, the fit makes sense. A package with Josh Hamilton and one of the Reds’ stud pitchers might be required though. Also keep in mind that Joe Frisaro said the Marlins plan to keep Willis at least until July.
- Heyman suggests the Mets could re-acquire Xavier Nady to play right field for them.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Heilman | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Carlos Gomez | Dontrelle Willis | Erik Bedard | Ervin Santana | Johan Santana | Lastings Milledge | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Miami Marlins | Miguel Cabrera | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Nick Adenhart | Philip Humber | Seattle Mariners | Xavier Nady
UPDATE, 12-3-07 at 10am: Peter Gammons says the Marlins are no longer insisting on both Adenhart and Santana. He thinks the deal can work.
FROM 12-2-07 at 2pm:
Jon Heyman has the latest on the Miguel Cabrera situation. As you know, the Angels are frustrated but have left the door open for the Marlins to approach them regarding their offer.
We also knew that the offer had both Howie Kendrick and Jeff Mathis in it. The other players: one of Nick Adenhart or Ervin Santana, plus a "mid-level" pitching prospect. The Marlins wanted both Adenhart and Santana, prompting the Angels to throw up their hands. Marlins ownership (Loria and Samson) are the ones pushing for both pitchers.
The Angels’ original offer stands, and they’ll wait to see if the Marlins decide to take it. Heyman lists the Angels, Dodgers, Giants, and White Sox as those most serious in Cabrera, with the Rangers, Indians, and Mets also placing calls. The Mets, eh? That’s a new one.
Did you expect anything different? Billy Beane is happy to field offers on Dan Haren and Joe Blanton, but he’ll require a king’s ransom for either pitcher. Jayson Stark says Beane asked the Yankees for two of Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and Ian Kennedy for Haren. With the Red Sox it was two of Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester, and Jacoby Ellsbury. The Mets would have to pony up Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. With two starters under contract through 2010, Beane and the A’s are sitting pretty.
One source of Stark echoes the popular sentiment that Miguel Cabrera in an Angels uniform would prompt a full-on A’s firesale. That would include Huston Street, Dan Johnson, Mark Kotsay, and Rich Harden. You have to admit, that would be fun. Maybe the Brewers won’t give up Rickie Weeks for Chad Cordero, but how about Street?
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Boston Red Sox | Carlos Gomez | Clay Buchholz | Dan Haren | Dan Johnson | Fernando Martinez | Huston Street | Ian Kennedy | Jacoby Ellsbury | Joba Chamberlain | Joe Blanton | Jon Lester | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Mark Kotsay | Miguel Cabrera | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Oakland Athletics | Phil Hughes | Rich Harden
Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times writes his "State of the Angels" Winter Meetings intro, and some information is revealed regarding Miguel Tejada.
As you know, Tejada is the Angels’ fallback option if they can’t get Miguel Cabrera. Well, it doesn’t sound like the price is reasonable on Tejada either. The Orioles want both third baseman Brandon Wood and starter Jered Weaver for him. The Angels would be comfortable with one of Joe Saunders or Ervin Santana plus a lesser prospect.
Given the lack of interest in Tejada and the multiple question marks, it’s surprising to see such a huge demand for talent. No wonder Ken Rosenthal said the Giants, Astros, and Cards don’t have the young talent to get Tejada. And by the way – the Orioles won’t be eating any of the $26MM owed to Tejada over the next two years.
Random rumors, let’s round ‘em up.
- How about Bartolo Colon to the Mets? David Lennon notes that Omar Minaya sold the farm to acquire him in 2002 as the Expos’ GM.
- Scott Lauber says Aaron Rowand is insisting on a five-year deal. He adds that the Phils have interest in Geoff Jenkins but he might be too expensive.
- Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller are considered untouchable, so don’t look for the Tigers to make any big trades.
- Patrick Saunders runs down some free agents the Rockies may consider for the back end of their rotation: Tony Armas, Matt Clement, Steve Trachsel, Josh Fogg, Jason Jennings, Jon Lieber, Mark Redman, Brett Tomko, and Kip Wells.
- The Rays may go after Tony Clark, in large part because they’re seeking leadership. Marc Topkin agrees, and also rattles off Geoff Jenkins, Brad Wilkerson, Cliff Floyd, Mike Lamb, Mark Sweeney, Corey Koskie, and Greg Nortion as other possibilities.
- It’s expected that Eric Gagne will not accept Boston’s offer of arbitration, because he wants to close. One place he could do so is Texas, who like him if he’ll take one year.
- The Marlins’ new marketing materials exclude Miguel Cabrera.
- The Rangers have interest in Sean Casey and Mike Lamb.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Rowand | Andrew Miller | Bartolo Colon | Boston Red Sox | Brad Wilkerson | Brett Tomko | Cameron Maybin | Cliff Floyd | Colorado Rockies | Corey Koskie | Detroit Tigers | Eric Gagne | Geoff Jenkins | Greg Norton | Jason Jennings | Jon Lieber | Josh Fogg | Kip Wells | Mark Redman | Mark Sweeney | Matt Clement | Miami Marlins | Miguel Cabrera | Mike Lamb | New York Mets | Philadelphia Phillies | Sean Casey | Steve Trachsel | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Tony Armas Jr. | Tony Clark