Recapping MLBTR’s original content from the past week:
- Reds shortstop Zack Cozart has quietly been one of the majors’ best players this year, leading Steve Adams to make arguments for and against the team issuing the impending free agent an $18.1MM qualifying offer after the season. Steve also polled readers on whether the rebuilding Reds should extend the pricey offer to Cozart. The majority of voters believe they’d be wise to do so.
- Next, Steve highlighted 10 soon-to-be free agents who have boosted their stock since signing one-year contracts last winter. Perhaps the greatest success story has been Rays first baseman Logan Morrison, whose $2.5MM salary has shockingly bought the club a .243/.348/.517 batting line with 36 home runs in 555 plate appearances.
- Jeff Todd offered an update on the nine players who have vesting options for 2018 in their contracts. Options for Rockies closer Greg Holland and Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez have already vested.
- Jeff also broke down how the players selected in last winter’s Rule 5 draft have fared this season, noting that several picks have likely done enough to stick with their teams into 2018.
- MLBTR’s “Three Needs” series continued with pre-offseason looks at some of the decisions and moves the Tigers, Reds, Pirates and Mets could make over the winter.