The Jason Bay Trade Revisited

Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsbugh Post-Gazette recounts the details of the deadline deal that sent Jason Bay to Boston, specifically the final 7 minutes that reshaped the future of the Pirates organization. It's a really interesting read for any rumor-enthusiasts. Some points of interest:

  • According to Kovacevic, before finally dealing Bay at the buzzer, Pittsburgh had been working on dealing Bay for over a year and a half.
  • Before the 2008 season, the Bucs had come close to dealing Bay and catcher Ronny Paulino to Cleveland for Cliff Lee, Franklin Guttierez, and Kelly Shoppach. The Pirates did not feel it was enough and killed it.
  • Just 20 minutes before the 4p.m. deadline, Kovacevic says the Braves and Rays were considered the primary trading partners, particularly the "prospect-rich Rays." But with only 15 minutes left, "the Pirates called each [team] to insist upon a specific prospect package and summarily were rejected," writes Kovacevic.

The Rays Index takes a look at this article from a Tampa Bay perspective.

Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Sheffield, Rays, Red Sox, Yankees

On this date 43 years ago, Tom Seaver signed with the Mets for a $50K signing bonus. Seaver originally agreed to a deal with the Braves, but the contract was voided due to Seaver's status as an amateur at USC. After being ruled ineligible at USC, and the Braves were forbidden from signing Seaver, any team willing to match the original $50K signing bonus were included in a lottery for the rights to the future hall-of-famer. The Phillies, Indians and Mets literally had their names placed in a cap and the Mets were selected. The regular season is only days away and inevitably a former Mets pitcher will throw a no-hitter. Let's see what is being written in the Blogosphere…

Cork Gaines writes for RaysIndex.com. If you have a suggestion for this feature, Cork can be reached here.

Red Sox Standing Pat

The Red Sox don't plan on pursuing any recently released players, according to Daniel Barbarisi of the Providence Journal.  Names like Frank Catalanotto and Jeff Keppinger have been floated in connection with Boston, but club officials believe the roster is set (Keppinger's already an Astro).

"It looks like we have our team," manager Terry Francona said Thursday.  The Sox appear satisfied with Chris Carter and Nick Green as viable fill-ins for injured players Mark Kotsay and Julio Lugo.

Odds & Ends: Minor Deals, Catalanotto, Gwynn Jr.

Your Thursday links, with more to come…

Odds & Ends: Colletti, Youkilis, Turnbow

Links for Tuesday…

  • Chat today, 2pm CST.
  • Rays info from Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times: they're trying to figure out a way to keep Jason Isringhausen, and they've released pitcher Chuck Tiffany (part of the Danys Baez trade in '06).
  • In talking to Ramona Shelburne of the L.A. Daily News, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti explained his success reading the market this offseason.  He also said, "I believe there will be some players available on July 31st that normally would never be available."
  • Ken Davidoff of Newsday reminds us of past trade discussions involving Kevin Youkilis, before he was highly regarded.
  • Baseball America's Jim Callis notes that the Cubs released "three of their top picks from the last six drafts this spring: outfielder Ryan Harvey, the sixth overall pick in 2003; righthander Grant Johnson, a second-rounder in 2004; and lefty Mark Pawelek, the 20th overall choice in 2005."
  • According to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan, Rangers reliever Derrick Turnbow's opt-out date is Thursday.  He's talking to his agent about whether he should head to Triple A Oklahoma.
  • MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince says lefty reliever Juan Lara signed a minor league deal with the Indians – "just 16 months after a car accident nearly took his life."

Gammons Notes: Angels, Delcarmen

A little hot stove info from ESPN's Peter Gammons:

Word is the Angels are worried enough about their starting pitching to look around, especially at the Reds. And several Arizona teams have expressed interest in Boston reliever Manny Delcarmen. Boston needs a catcher, and could use another infielder and even another outfielder.

The Angels have concerns at the front of their rotation with John Lackey and Ervin Santana.  The reasonable Reds target for the Halos would have to be Aaron Harang (my own speculation).  A week ago, Gammons wrote about the Reds possibly moving Harang during the season, but GM Walt Jocketty seemed to reject the idea.

As for the teams interested in Delcarmen, here's a reminder of the Arizona Spring Training clubs: the D'Backs, Cubs, White Sox, Indians, Rockies, Royals, Angels, Dodgers, Brewers, A's, Padres, Giants, Mariners, and Rangers.

Wilkerson Leaves Red Sox

Rob Bradford reports that Terry Francona confirmed Brad Wilkerson's departure from the Red Sox earlier this morning.

Wilkerson, 31, was in camp on a minor-league deal, competing for the job of the fifth outfielder and backup first baseman. His contract allowed him to opt-out prior to April 1, which he elected to do after hitting just .119 through 42 ABs, with 18 strikeouts. The position battle will now likely come down to Chris Carter and Jeff Bailey, both of whom are having strong a strong Spring Training, hitting .350 and .357, respectively.

Stark’s Latest: Keppinger, Baker, Phillies

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has a new blog post up.  Some of this is old news, but probably worth revisiting…

  • The Reds are dangling infielder Jeff Keppinger, with the Red Sox and Astros as possible suitors.
  • The Red Sox and Astros have also checked in on Colorado's Jeff Baker, along with the Phillies.  But, the Rockies are reportedly demanding a "quality young starter" in return.
  • The Mets expressed interest in Ronny Paulino before he was dealt to the Giants (then moved swiftly to the Marlins).
  • The Phillies continue to shop around for a right-handed reserve outfielder.

Mark Teixeira: In His Own Words

Mark Teixeira appeared on New York-based radio station WFAN this morning and spoke, among other things, about why he decided to sign with the Yankees over other interested teams.  Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times has transcribed a few of the more interesting quotes:

"I always had the Yankees in my sights, and one thing my agent and I had asked every single team is, we're not going to negotiate through the media, and we ask you not to," Teixeira said.  "The Yankees were really the only team that did that. The other teams went out and told everybody their offers, told everybody that they talked to me, that they made this call, made that trip. The Yankees kept quiet. We talked all winter. When they were ready to make their final offer, it was a great offer, and my wife and I were excited about going to New York."

Asked specifically about the Red Sox, who made their December 18 visit to his home in Texas public knowledge, Teixeira admitted to being bothered: "I think in the end, it probably worked against them a little bit, because everyone thought the Red Sox were my No. 1 choice. … The Yankees had a leg up all along."

Odds & Ends: Strasburg, Cabrera, Waivers

Links for Friday…

Show all