MLBTR Originals

A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week:

  • AL CY Young Award winner Corey Kluber was Jeff Todd’s guest on the latest episode of MLB Trade Rumors Podcast. Also joining Jeff was MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko to discuss the Orioles’ offseason. A new edition of MLB Trade Rumors Podcast drops every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunesSoundCloud, and Stitcher.
  • Steve Adams spoke with agents Josh Kusnick and Rafael Godoy about the intricaces of negotiating minor league contracts. “Minor league deals are a lot of work, Kusnick told Steve. “They’re not always easy to do. Some come together more quickly than others. There have been times in my career where a ball club will call me the minute free agency starts…They’ll make their offer, it’ll make sense, and then it’s done. But there are other situations where it’s dragged on for an entire year.
  • Jeff opines there will be few MLB pacts available to the free agents who are still unsigned.
  • One of those MLB deals will be given to James Shields, but it may not be as lucrative as he hopes. Jeff writes there are few precedents for a free agent landing a nine-figure contract in February.
  • Steve listed the hardest throwing relievers remaining on the free agent market, two of whom (John Axford and Chris Perez) signed within 48 hours of the post being published.
  • Steve pegs another of those relievers, Joba Chamberlain, as being a relatively low-cost, high-upside addition to a contender’s bullpen.
  • Steve names four free agents who can be controlled beyond 2015 because they have less than five years of service time.
  • Charlie Wilmoth revisited the notable transactions from last February.
  • Brad Johnson asked MLBTR readers where Dayan Viciedo will sign. Nearly one-fifth of you see the Tigers adding Viciedo.
  • Steve hosted this week’s chat.
  • Zach Links compiled the latest edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.

Quick Hits: Porcello, White Sox, Frazier

If Rick Porcello‘s first season with the Red Sox goes well, he could be this season’s version of Jon Lester, WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford writes. At the beginning of next offseason, Porcello will still be just 26, and his combination of youth and performance could mean he’ll be sorting through nine-figure contract offers, just as Lester did earlier this winter after playing part of last season in Boston. For now, Porcello doesn’t seem to be in any hurry. “Honestly, I haven’t even thought about that yet,” he says. “I think whether it’s a contract discussion or anything else that could possibly to be a distraction for the team I think it’s important for those things to be limited.” Here are more notes from around the league.

  • The White Sox‘ splashy offseason hasn’t come at the expense of their improving farm system, writes Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com writes. In particular, their trade for Jeff Samardzija didn’t come at too high a cost, especially considering the price the Athletics paid to get Samardzija in the first place. The White Sox have kept top prospects like Tim Anderson, Francellis Montas and Tyler Danish (and, of course, Carlos Rodon, although Rodon isn’t yet eligible to be traded anyway). “I was impressed,” says MLB.com’s Jim Callis. “Rick Hahn has done a tremendous job since he has been on the job of getting talent without giving up a whole lot, it doesn’t seem to me.”
  • Todd Frazier‘s new $12MM contract with the Reds only covers his first two arbitration-eligible seasons, but Frazier would be open to a longer extension at some point, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon writes. “I think both sides are pretty happy about it,” Frazier says, referring to his new contract. “I think everybody wants a long-term deal and stability. Right now, we thought this was the best option for us.” From the Reds’ perspective, there might not be much need right now to sign Frazier long-term, since Frazier’s big-league career got off to a relatively late start. Including the extra season of arbitration eligibility following the expiration of Frazier’s new contract, the Reds already control his rights through his age-31 season, so a long-term deal would only buy out new seasons beginning at age 32.

West Notes: Padres, Athletics, Angels

Much of the Padres‘ pitching staff has remained intact this offseason while new GM A.J. Preller built a new offense alongside it, and the team’s returning pitchers are excited, Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. “It’s been pretty cool seeing all the moves we made,” says Andrew Cashner. “This is my first year to have a chance to win.” Another Padres starter, Ian Kennedy, still has interest in exploring free agency after the season, but adds that “it’s hard not to notice” that the team has gotten better, in his view, both for 2015 into the future. Here’s more from the West divisions.

  • The Athletics acquired shortstop Yunel Escobar in the Ben Zobrist trade, then quickly shipped him to Washington for Tyler Clippard. Assistant GM David Forst says, however, that the A’s didn’t acquire Escobar with the intention of trading him, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets. The Clippard deal took shape only after the completion of the Zobrist deal.
  • The Angels have improved their farm system in the past several months, Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times writes. That’s not to say their farm system is great — they moved up from last in Baseball America’s organizational rankings in 2013 and 2014 to 27th this year. They did, however, pitchers Andrew Heaney and Nick Tropeano this winter, and drafted three more pitchers, Sean Newcomb, Joe Gatto and Chris Ellis, in June. Since Baseball America’s rankings went to press, the Angels have also added infielders Roberto Baldoquin and Kyle Kubitza. “It’s a better system than it was before,” says BA’s John Manuel. “There are some positive signs.”

Reds, Todd Frazier Agree To Two-Year Deal

The Reds and Todd Frazier have avoided arbitration with a two-year, $12MM deal, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Frazier will receive $4.5MM in 2015 and $7.5MM in 2016, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon tweets. Frazier is a client of CAA Sports.

Frazier had filed for $5.7MM in his first year of arbitration eligibility, with the Reds countering at $3.9MM, according to MLBTR’s Arbitration Tracker. With $4.8MM as the midpoint between those two figures, $12MM for this year and next accounts for what would have been a fairly typical arbitration-year raise for 2016, to the $7MM range. After the contract ends, Frazier will be under Reds control for one more year, and he will be eligible for arbitration after 2016.

Frazier, who will turn 29 next week, was one of the Reds’ top performers in the team’s tough 2014 season. Frazier hit .273/.336/.459, led the team with 29 homers and played in his first All-Star Game. He also received good marks for his defense at third base, posting an above-average UZR at the position for the third straight season.

With Frazier’s case now settled, the only remaining Reds player with a pending arbitration case is closer Aroldis Chapman.

Marlins Have Reached Out To K-Rod

The Marlins have reached out to agent Scott Boras regarding Francisco Rodriguez, according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com (on Twitter).  Nothing is imminent on that front, but the club could circle back to K-Rod at some point as they look to bolster their bullpen.

It has been speculated for some time that Miami could go after Rodriguez and earlier today, GM Dan Jennings hinted to Jim Bowden of SiriusXM that he is considering the veteran.  Miami isn’t alone in that pursuit, however, as the Blue JaysPhillies, and Brewers are among the clubs that have been connected to him.

The Brewers are looking at Rodriguez as a fallback if they cannot work out a trade with the Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon.  Rodriguez pitched to a 3.11 ERA with 9.5 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and 57 saves in 193 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.  The 33-year-old arguably stands as the best closing option available on the open market, but things have yet to come together for him.  His fate seems to be tied somewhat to the outcome of the Papelbon situation – the Brewers view him as their Plan B and the Phillies seem likely to pursue K-Rod if Papelbon is moved.

Marlins Notes: Shields, Haren, Fernandez

The latest out of Miami..

  • When asked if he’s in on James Shields, Marlins GM Dan Jennings told Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter) “you never know if you’re still in it or not in it until someone signs him.”  At present, however, it would seem that the Marlins are on the outside looking in with the Padres viewed as the favorites and the Cubs still lurking.
  • Jennings added, “We have had internal discussions about [Shields] and all other free agents… we’ll see in the next few days where he goes,” (via MLB Network Radio on Twitter).
  • Jennings told Bowden (on Twitter) that Dan Haren is preparing for Spring Training and looking forward to being a member of the Marlins.  Haren reportedly has been hoping for a trade that would keep him closer to his family in California.  At one time, Haren seemed to be considering retirement over spending the season in Miami.
  • Jennings said that the timetable for Jose Fernandez to take the mound is between June 15th and July 15th (via Bowden on Twitter).
  • Joe Frisaro of MLB.com (on Twitter) opines that the Marlins’ next step should be to try to sign Rafael Soriano or Francisco Rodriguez on the cheap.  When asked by Bowden (link) about possible interest in the relievers, Jennings didn’t tip his hat much, saying that he’s “always looking to add.”  Jennings added that he’s exploring potentially bringing “one or two more guys to camp,” according to MLB Network Radio (on Twitter).

Cafardo On Vazquez, Cabrera, Papelbon

Yankees GM Brian Cashman feels that the potential is there for a big year, but he’s not guaranteeing the AL East title or anything of that sort, as Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes.  “We have a lot of talent,” he said. “Like other teams, we have some ifs. If we get good comebacks and our rotation stays healthy, if our team stays healthy, we’re a good team.”   Additions like Andrew Miller will be counted on for production, but the Bombers will really hope for some vintage performances from guys like Mark Teixeira, Carlos Beltran, and embattled third baseman Alex Rodriguez.  Here’s more from today’s column..

  • The Phillies continue to insist on Blake Swihart in any deal for Cole Hamels and there’s been no movement to ask instead for Christian Vazquez.  The Red Sox, meanwhile, refuse to part with their top young catcher.  Cafardo suggests the Phillies could have a better chance of working out a deal with the Padres as they are more open to moving catching prospect Austin Hedges.
  • There are no substantive talks between the Mets and Everth Cabrera‘s camp at the moment as they seem committed to Wilmer Flores.  It was reported earlier this winter that the Mets had interest in the former Padres shortstop.  A major league source with knowledge of Cabrera’s situation indicated to Cafardo that he has made great strides personally.
  • Cafardo writes that the Blue Jays remain interested in Phillies reliever Jonathan Papelbon.  A report from earlier this month characterized the Blue Jays as a “major long shot” to land the closer due to financial reasons.
  • General Managers around the league can’t stop raving about 19-year-old Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada.   “He could be the next Robinson Cano/Chase Utley, but more Cano. That’s the kind of potential bat we’re talking about,” one National League talent evaluator said.  An NL GM told Cafardo that Moncada “may be better than [Yasiel] Puig or [Jose] Abreu or [Yoenis] Cespedes or [Jorge] Soler.”   Meanwhile, one GM tells Cafardo that the middle infielder would still require some minor league seasoning before breaking into the majors.
  • There’s a good amount of interest in Brandon Beachy for when he’s finally ready to sign.  The 28-year-old owns a lifetime 3.23 ERA over 46 big league starts, with a 3.34 FIP, 3.54 xFIP, and 3.39 SIERA.

Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Sanchez, Orioles, Pineda

On this date in 2006, Johnny Damon took out a full page ad in the Boston Globe to thank Red Sox fans after signing with the rival Yankees, according to Leo Panetta of NationalPastime.com.  Damon, who was beloved in Boston, took a great deal of heat after inking a four-year, $52MM deal with the Bombers.  Here’s this week’s look around the baseball blogopshere..

Please send submissions to Zach at ZachBBWI@gmail.com.

Possibilities For Dayan Viciedo

Dayan Viciedo has not lived up to the potential he demonstrated when the White Sox originally signed him, but he is a major league player, writes Paul Swydan of FanGraphs. The White Sox requested unconditional release waivers for Viciedo last Wednesday – a week after he was designated for assignment. With his time in Chicago likely coming to a close, Swydan examined possible landing spots for the soon-to-be 26-year-old slugger.

Viciedo’s shortcomings are readily apparent. He’s viewed as a defensive liability by advanced metrics, making him a better fit for a designated or pinch hitter role. Unfortunately, he has never exceeded league average production on offense per wRC+. Pure hitters are expected to surpass league average by a healthy margin.

Despite flaws, Viciedo is relatively young and has blasted over 20 home runs twice. He also has notable platoon splits, with a career .291/.331/.507 line in 487 plate appearances against southpaw pitchers. A team that can hide Viciedo from the field and right-handed pitchers could find some real value. Swydan also highlights Viciedo’s clutch score, which ranks 16th in baseball over the last three seasons.

As we learned earlier today, the Reds are probably out on Viciedo. Considering their paucity of power on the bench, it’s a little surprising to consider them completely out of the picture. Players like Skip Schumaker and Thomas Neal could upgraded in Swydan’s opinion.

Based on their bench depth, the Giants might be the best fit for Viciedo. Andrew Susac is probably the best hitter among the non-starters, but the Giants won’t want to burn their backup catcher often. With Joaquin Arias projected as the primary designated hitter for interleague games, the defending World Champions could use a cheap upgrade.

The Phillies and Braves are in the midst of rebuilding, so they have opportunities available for Viciedo. Both the Tigers and Yankees intend to compete in 2015, but they may need an infusion of right-handed power. In the case of Detroit, the knee injury to Victor Martinez could open the door for Viciedo. Swydan sees New York as a fit if they want another layer of depth behind Alex Rodriguez.

For what it’s worth, I think the Phillies make the most sense. They can try Viciedo at first base in a platoon with Ryan Howard. The club also has Darin Ruf, who is expected to fill that exact role, but there is plenty of roster flexibility to give two players an opportunity. Where do you think Viciedo will land?

Who Will Sign Dayan Viciedo?

  • Tigers 19% (2,064)
  • Other 19% (2,051)
  • Phillies 16% (1,750)
  • Giants 16% (1,734)
  • Yankees 13% (1,431)
  • Braves 11% (1,164)
  • Reds 8% (877)

Total votes: 11,071

West Notes: Cashner, Diamondbacks

Single-franchise players like Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Chipper Jones are increasingly rare in baseball, writes Matt Yallof of MLB.com. The current longest tenured player is Chase Utley with parts of 13 seasons in Philadelphia. Former teammate Jimmy Rollins was traded to the Dodgers this offseason after 15 years in Philly. Another newly acquired Dodger – Howie Kendrick – was with the Angels for nine seasons. L.A. also shipped out a nine-year veteran in Matt Kemp. Here’s more from the West.