Some random rumors and links for Tuesday afternoon...
- The Rockies signed Mark Redman to a minor league contract. It makes sense to add some depth, but I like the team's plan of using high-octane arms Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales instead of the safe veteran options.
- Rick Sutcliffe's thoughts on showboating.
- At one time, it seemed that Jason Jennings would be primed for a big payday this winter. He still could get a Marquis contract despite his 6.45 ERA in 18 starts. But prospective buyers have to be concerned that he replied "I don't know" when asked if he is healthy. By the way, that link details a failed ballpark marriage proposal that resulted in popcorn being dumped on the guy's head. On the Jumbotron.
- It wouldn't be the Kansas City Star without an enormous pixellated close-up of the player in question. This time it's Mark Grudzielanek, who's been extended through 2008. Grudz wouldn't have reached the 500 PAs needed to guarantee his $4MM option for '08.
- The Red Sox still haven't spoken to Mike Lowell about a contract extension. He wants to stay, and Nick Cafardo suggests Jermaine Dye could be the comp at two years, $22MM. That'd be a major concession for Lowell, who'd be the best free agent third baseman unless A-Rod opts out. One scenario has Kevin Youkilis moving to third base and some sort of league average first baseman stepping in, like the newly acquired Chris Carter. Another has the Red Sox signing Alex Rodriguez. The middle ground to those extremes is just to agree on a two-year deal with Lowell. It'd make sense for the Red Sox to hold off on Lowell until they see what A-Rod does.
- The Eric Byrnes contract may serve as a model for Jose Guillen.
- Tom Koch-Weser of STATS, Inc. has a new WHIFF profile of San Diego's Chris Young. A must-read as always.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Odds and Ends: