The reign of terror is over – the Pirates have fired GM Dave Littlefield. He’d been the team’s GM since July 31st, 2001 and his contract actually runs through 2008. A partial list of his bad moves is below.
- 1/2/02 – Agreed to terms with free-agent RHP Mike Williams on a two-year contract with a club option for 2004.
- 12/20/02 – Acquired RHP Matt Herges from the Montreal Expos in exchange for minor league pitchers Chris Young and Jon Searles.
- 1/31/03 – Designated RHP Bronson Arroyo for assignment.
- 7/22/03 – Acquired IF Jose Hernandez, minor league RHP Matt Bruback and a player to be named later from Chicago Cubs for 3B Aramis Ramirez, OF Kenny Lofton and cash considerations.
- 11/20/03 – Claimed off waivers: pitcher Matt Guerrier by Minnesota, pitcher Duaner Sanchez by Los Angeles.
- 12/16/04 – Acquired C Benito Santiago, along with cash considerations, from Kansas City in exchange for RHP Leo Nunez.
- 7/28/05 – Acquired Minor League INF J.J. Furmaniak from the San Diego Padres in exchange for C David Ross.
- 7/31/05 – Acquired OF Jody Gerut and cash considerations from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for OF Matt Lawton.
- 1/4/06 – Signed OF Jeromy Burnitz to a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2007.
- 2/28/06 – Agreed to terms with SS Jack Wilson on a three-year contract extension (through the 2009 season) with a club option for 2010.
- 7/31/06 – Acquired OF Xavier Nady from the New York Mets in exchange for RHP Roberto Hernandez and LHP Oliver Perez.
- 2/1/07 – Signed RHP Tony Armas Jr. to a one-year contract, with a club option for 2008.
- 7/31/07 – Acquired RHP Matt Morris from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for OF Rajai Davis and a player to be named.
- 2002 – Bryan Bullington at #1 overall (over B.J. Upton, Zack Greinke, Prince Fielder, Jeff Francis, Jeremy Hermida, Joe Saunders, Khalil Greene, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher, Cole Hamels, James Loney, Jeremy Guthrie, Jeff Francoeur, Joe Blanton, and Matt Cain).
- 2006 – Brad Lincoln at #4 overall (over Andrew Miller, Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, Ian Kennedy, and Joba Chamberlain)
I admit that showing only this stuff is not fair, hindsight is 20/20, and the Pirates had certain financial constraints. Littlefield made good deals and good draft picks too. However, these are the reasons he was fired as far as I can tell.