After letting Barry Zito walk last year and trading Danny Haren in December, the A's appear to be entertaining offers for Joe Blanton. While the Reds and the Dodgers appear to be the most aggressive suitors, Ken Rosenthal speculated that Blanton would be a good fit for the Twins or the Rays and Buster Olney named several other clubs that could be interested in acquiring the right-hander. Blanton, 27, is still three years from free agency, and will make $3.7MM this season. With pitchers and catchers due to report this week, let's take a look at reactions to the Blanton rumors from the blogosphere.
- Athletics Nation is surprised that Blanton has not been moved yet. They expect that a deal is more likely now that Johan Santana has been traded, and the free agent market is drying up.
- Redleg Nation thinks the Reds should be willing to part with Homer Bailey or Johnny Cueto in addition to Joey Votto for a proven pitcher.
- On the other hand, Red Reporter believes the Reds should only take Blanton if they do not have to surrender one of their top prospects.
- Pinstripe Alley wouldn't mind the Yankees acquiring Blanton as long as the trade does not require Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes. The would be willing to part with Alan Horne or Austin Jackson from the lower levels.
- Rays Anatomy believes that Blanton is an asset that the Rays could use (an innings eater), but ultimately does not think the trade makes sense for the Rays. They are hesitant With so many pitching prospects knocking on the Rays' door and do not want to part with prospects such as Wade Davis, Jake McGee or Desmond Jennings.
- Over the Monster does not see the Red Sox giving up Coco Crisp for Blanton as that would be a deviation from their plan to develop pitchers in their system. Rather, they think it is more likely that the Sox sign a free agent or move Julian Tavarez to the rotation.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Joe Blanton: