Let’s round up the Phillies links. By the way, I am hoping to get to their Offseason Outlook on Friday.
- The first issue is Pat Burrell, to whom the Phillies will probably make a two-year offer (according to Buster Olney). It is true that Burrell added a Philly-based agent (Ed Hayes), but he’s also keeping Greg Genske. The confusion with agents is one reason negotiations haven’t begun with the Phils. Burrell would love to return. If he doesn’t re-sign, the Giants may be interested. Keep in mind that Burrell does not want to DH.
- If Burrell leaves, the Phillies hope to add a righthanded hitter to replace him. Magglio Ordonez, Matt Holliday, and Manny Ramirez are considered long shots. Milton Bradley would be interesting, if the Phillies believe he can play the field every day. It’d also make sense for the Phillies to inquire on Ryan Ludwick, Jermaine Dye, Josh Willingham, Casey Blake, and Mark DeRosa.
- The Phillies have had one brief conversation with Jamie Moyer‘s agent. Moyer wants a multiyear deal, but Olney does not believe the Phils are inclined to do that.
- Scott Eyre would take a one-year contract to stay, and the Phillies hope to re-sign him before November 14th.
- Olney says the Phillies are expected to explore talks with Ryan Howard‘s agent regarding a long-term deal.
- Don’t forget starting pitching; Scott Lauber figures they’ll be in the market.
- Outfielder So Taguchi was released today.