19 free agent starters remain, with about a week to go until Spring Training. Let's take a look.
- Kris Benson (33) - Last we heard from Ken Rosenthal's source, Benson looked so-so in throwing sessions (he had rotator cuff surgery two years ago). The Dodgers and Cardinals appear to be suitors; the Rangers may be out, having signed Jason Jennings.
- Paul Byrd (38) - The Red Sox will miss out on a supplemental draft pick, as Byrd intends to sit out the first half and then possibly sign with a contender. He'd prefer the Braves, Rays, or Marlins.
- Shawn Chacon (31) - In December, Chacon's agent said he was drawing interest from a few teams. Chacon was released in June after a physical confrontation with Astros GM Ed Wade.
- Tom Glavine (43) - He wants to return to Atlanta, but may seek a big league deal worth $2-3MM guaranteed. He had minor elbow and shoulder surgeries in August. The Nationals have been kicked around as a distant Plan B, though they just signed Odalis Perez.
- Scott Elarton (33) - He worked out for the Padres, but they declined to sign him. Ditto Steve Trachsel and Brian Lawrence.
- Livan Hernandez (34) - Apparently remains on the Padres' radar.
- Orlando Hernandez (43) - We learned from Ken Davidoff in November that not only does El Duque want to pitch in '09 after missing all of '08, he wants to close.
- Chuck James (27) - James, only 27, was non-tendered by the Braves in December. He had rotator cuff and labrum surgery in September, so he won't be ready until the second half.
- Jon Lieber (39) - We haven't heard anything about Lieber all winter. He suggested in June that he was mulling retirement after the season.
- Braden Looper (34) - Despite interest from the Orioles, Looper prefers the NL. If the Dodgers sign Randy Wolf, maybe he'll turn to the Pirates.
- Rodrigo Lopez (33) - All quiet on the Lopez front; last I checked he was a Scott Boras client. The Braves declined his '09 option. Lopez had Tommy John and flexor tendon surgery in August of '07.
- Pedro Martinez (37) - Pedro intends to showcase himself in the World Baseball Classic. The Pirates were involved at one point.
- Mark Mulder (31) - Mulder's audition was set for early February. The A's and Brewers were linked to him at one point but subsequent stories made those teams sound less interested.
- Sidney Ponson (32) - Aside from settling his grievance with the Orioles in December, we haven't heard much about him.
- Kenny Rogers (44) - He's a candidate to retire.
- Curt Schilling (42) - When last reached in January, Schilling had been working out but hadn't decided whether to play in '09. The D'Backs were linked to him around that time.
- Ben Sheets (30) - Sheets had an agreement with the Rangers called off when his physical revealed the possible need for flexor tendon surgery. He's having the surgery and aiming for a second half return, likely leaving the Brewers without draft pick compensation.
- Kip Wells (32) - He didn't pitch well with the Rockies or Royals in '08, and it's been a quiet winter.
- Randy Wolf (32) - Wolf is expected to sign with the Dodgers soon.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins West Notes: Gutierrez, Young, Morse, Sizemore, Cruz
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors