19 free agent starters remain, with about a week to go until Spring Training. Let's take a look.
- Kris Benson (33) - Last we heard from Ken Rosenthal's source, Benson looked so-so in throwing sessions (he had rotator cuff surgery two years ago). The Dodgers and Cardinals appear to be suitors; the Rangers may be out, having signed Jason Jennings.
- Paul Byrd (38) - The Red Sox will miss out on a supplemental draft pick, as Byrd intends to sit out the first half and then possibly sign with a contender. He'd prefer the Braves, Rays, or Marlins.
- Shawn Chacon (31) - In December, Chacon's agent said he was drawing interest from a few teams. Chacon was released in June after a physical confrontation with Astros GM Ed Wade.
- Tom Glavine (43) - He wants to return to Atlanta, but may seek a big league deal worth $2-3MM guaranteed. He had minor elbow and shoulder surgeries in August. The Nationals have been kicked around as a distant Plan B, though they just signed Odalis Perez.
- Scott Elarton (33) - He worked out for the Padres, but they declined to sign him. Ditto Steve Trachsel and Brian Lawrence.
- Livan Hernandez (34) - Apparently remains on the Padres' radar.
- Orlando Hernandez (43) - We learned from Ken Davidoff in November that not only does El Duque want to pitch in '09 after missing all of '08, he wants to close.
- Chuck James (27) - James, only 27, was non-tendered by the Braves in December. He had rotator cuff and labrum surgery in September, so he won't be ready until the second half.
- Jon Lieber (39) - We haven't heard anything about Lieber all winter. He suggested in June that he was mulling retirement after the season.
- Braden Looper (34) - Despite interest from the Orioles, Looper prefers the NL. If the Dodgers sign Randy Wolf, maybe he'll turn to the Pirates.
- Rodrigo Lopez (33) - All quiet on the Lopez front; last I checked he was a Scott Boras client. The Braves declined his '09 option. Lopez had Tommy John and flexor tendon surgery in August of '07.
- Pedro Martinez (37) - Pedro intends to showcase himself in the World Baseball Classic. The Pirates were involved at one point.
- Mark Mulder (31) - Mulder's audition was set for early February. The A's and Brewers were linked to him at one point but subsequent stories made those teams sound less interested.
- Sidney Ponson (32) - Aside from settling his grievance with the Orioles in December, we haven't heard much about him.
- Kenny Rogers (44) - He's a candidate to retire.
- Curt Schilling (42) - When last reached in January, Schilling had been working out but hadn't decided whether to play in '09. The D'Backs were linked to him around that time.
- Ben Sheets (30) - Sheets had an agreement with the Rangers called off when his physical revealed the possible need for flexor tendon surgery. He's having the surgery and aiming for a second half return, likely leaving the Brewers without draft pick compensation.
- Kip Wells (32) - He didn't pitch well with the Rockies or Royals in '08, and it's been a quiet winter.
- Randy Wolf (32) - Wolf is expected to sign with the Dodgers soon.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Diamondbacks Outright Alex Sanabia Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Minor Moves: Perez, Loewen, Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors