On this date 70 years ago, Lou Gehrig played his last game with the Yankees. Gehrig would retire with a career batting average of .340, 493 home runs and a 179 OPS+. For comparison, Albert Pujols has a career batting average of .334, 337 home runs and a 171 OPS+. More than a third of the way through the '09 season, let's take a look at what is being written in the Blogosphere...
- Josh Q. Public takes a look at what Stephen Strasburg would have to accomplish statistically to justify a 6-year, $50MM contract.
- Federal Baseball spoke with Lee Jenkins about Strasburg and Jenkins' research of dominant amateur pitchers.
- Nationals Park wonders if the Nats can sign Strasburg.
- Ladies... say that Strasburg is destined to break down.
- Bareknucks makes the case that Strasburg will be the next Mark Prior and baseball's version of Tony Mandarich.
- Fanhouse has a pool going on how much Strasburg will ultimately sign for.
- MLB Notebook argues that Pedro Martinez makes sense for the Rays.
- Operation Shutdown makes a case that the Pirates did well in the Nate McLouth trade.