Joel Sherman of the New York Post explains how Jason Marquis and Ryan Spilborghs almost became Phillies and names a dangerous NL East team:
- A few weeks ago the Phillies and Rockies seriously discussed a deal that would have sent Marquis and Spilborghs to the Phillies for J.A. Happ and prospects.
- The Phillies would have acquired an innings eater and a righty bat, while the Rockies would have shed payroll and acquired young talent.
- The Rockies began an extended hot streak after the trade talks began, so they decided not to make the deal.
- Colorado is now quietly in search of a veteran reliever.
- Some believe the Marlins are a threat to win the NL East because of their talented young rotation.
- Sherman reminds us that the Marlins have "one of the most aggressive, successful front offices in the majors."