A few more Saturday evening links….
- Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston doubts that the Blue Jays will offer Marco Scutaro arbitration, now that they've signed Alex Gonzalez. Jeff Blair wrote Thursday that the Jays will offer arbitration, and it would be a surprise if they turned down the chance to obtain picks for the Type A free agent.
- The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice poses a challenge to his readers, asking how they'd build the 2010 Astros, given the team's payroll restrictions.
- Japan's Hanshin Tigers are interested in a former Seattle teammate of Kenji Johjima, reliever Randy Messenger, according to Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker.
- More from Newman: He hears that Dodgers' Triple-A right-hander Giancarlo Alvarado has signed a multi-year deal with a Japanese team.
- Phil Wood of MASN Sports is looking forward to the end of Bud Selig's tenure as MLB commissioner.
- Steve Slowinski of DRays Bay examines the deal that brought J.P. Howell to Tampa Bay in 2006.