As usual, starting pitching questions abound for many teams. The Dodgers, for example, have to be concerned about the majority of their rotation. Here's a look at starting pitchers who may be available a few months from now.
- The Orioles are already nine games out. Kevin Millwood has a brilliant K/BB ratio so far, and may prove an unnecessary luxury for the O's. Jeremy Guthrie is more interesting, since he's under team control through 2012. The question is how comfortable the Orioles would be downgrading their rotation in the short-term.
- We touched on the White Sox yesterday. Freddy Garcia could potentially be available this summer, or earlier if the Sox remain in contention but prefer Dan Hudson as the fifth starter.
- The Rays could probably spare Andy Sonnanstine now. He'll move further down their depth chart once Jeremy Hellickson is deemed ready.
- The Royals' Gil Meche would have to prove he's healthy before a deal could occur. Brian Bannister, under team control through '12, is more attractive. There's no real reason for the Royals to move him, though.
- The Indians' Jake Westbrook is still shaking off the rust of Tommy John surgery. The Tribe probably wouldn't mind shedding some of his $11MM salary.
- The Mariners' Ian Snell could be expendable if Doug Fister and Jason Vargas continue to perform well.
- Like the Orioles, the Pirates probably prefer not to weaken their rotation further. GM Neal Huntington does hold two attractive pieces in Zach Duke and Paul Maholm, though.
- The Reds have a pair of well-paid veteran starters in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Harang is basically owed $15MM if traded, so he'd need to go on a strong run to be marketable.
- The Padres are enjoying a first-place tie, but they do have three veteran starters in contract years: Jon Garland, Kevin Correia, and Chris Young.
- Teams looking for aces have to hope the Mariners, Rockies, Cubs, Athletics, Astros, or Diamondbacks fall out of contention. That might make Cliff Lee, Jorge de la Rosa, Ted Lilly, Ben Sheets, Roy Oswalt, and Brandon Webb available as rentals. Wandy Rodriguez, under team control through '11, could be a hot commodity if the Astros commit to a rebuild (which would admittedly be out of character). On a related note, WFAN's Mike Francesa says the Mets "have been sniffing around" Oswalt, and the Astros are listening for the first time. However, ESPN's Adam Rubin has a source who believes the Mets have no chance at Oswalt.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors