Andy MacPhail knows it's not an easy time to manage the Orioles. He told Jon Heyman of SI.com that some of the managerial candidates the club is considering have limited interest in the job. "Let's be honest, I'm not sure this gig's for everyone," MacPhail said. Here's the latest on the Orioles' search for a manager along with the rest of Heyman's rumors:
- Davey Johnson, who led the Orioles to the playoffs in 1996-97, has been mentioned internally.
- Johnson and Bobby Valentine seem like long shots for the job.
- If current Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez is available, the Braves could choose him to replace Bobby Cox.
- The Dodgers offered Joe Torre an extension this spring, but Torre turned it down. Heyman says most baseball people see the Dodgers moving on after the season.
- The Mets prefer Cliff Lee to Roy Oswalt.
- Many of Heyman's sources expect Bryce Harper to sign for more than Mark Teixeira's $9.5MM deal and less than Stephen Strasburg's $15.1MM deal. Harper, who is a Scott Boras client like Teixeira and Strasburg, appears headed for a $12MM deal, according to Heyman.