The Phillies, Red Sox, Rockies and Mets could consider adding a second baseman sometime this month. Here are some of the names that may come up in conversation for those teams, sorted from highest 2010 salary to lowest:
- Dan Uggla, $7.8MM (free agent after 2011) - The Marlins haven't officially made him available yet, but the Rockies are interested. Uggla produces every season and 2010 is no exception; he has a .285/.369/.483 line.
- Mark Ellis, $5.5MM ($6MM option for 2011) - There's a good chance the A's keep Ellis, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. If they decide to part with the 33-year-old, his .278/.347/.356 line and reputation as a solid defender should intrigue teams, though his salary is substantial.
- Ty Wigginton, $3.5MM (free agent after 2010) - Wigginton struggled mightily in June (.594 OPS) and July (.477 OPS), but he does have 14 homers on the season. He has split time between second and first, and can also play third.
- Ryan Theriot, $2.6MM (free agent after 2012) - We have yet to see a clear indication that the Cubs are shopping Theriot and his .278/.317/.313 line.
- Kelly Johnson, $2.35MM (free agent after 2011) - Johnson is hitting .276/.374/.497 with 14 homers. Trade rumors have dogged the 28-year-old all season long, partly because he has hit so well and partly because the 34-55 D'Backs have played so poorly.
- Jose Lopez, $2.3MM ($5MM option for 2011) - Lopez moved to third base this year, but didn't bring his bat along with him. His OPS has dropped 150 points to .610 and he has just six homers.
- Adam Kennedy, $1.25MM ($2MM option for 2011) - Kennedy and Cristian Guzman are reportedly drawing interest, though that probably has more to do with Kennedy's experience and versatility than his .643 OPS.
- Jeff Keppinger, $1.15MM (free agent after 2012) - Keppinger, 30, is hitting .284/.335/.385 and has a solid glove, according to UZR.
- Jamey Carroll, $1.05MM ($1.8MM in 2011) - Playing both middle infield positions and more for the Dodgers, Carroll has a sparkling .391 OBP. The Dodgers could move Carroll, but it'd leave them thin in shortstop depth.
- Cristian Guzman, Mike Aviles, Alberto Callaspo, Jeff Baker and Andy LaRoche have played some second base this year.
- Free agent Mark Grudzielanek is available.
- Rickie Weeks is not available now, but it's not hard to imagine the Brewers changing their stance.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors