If your team is looking for help at third base this summer, we've got players who could conceivably be available for trade:
- Jose Bautista, Blue Jays. Amazingly, he's the MLB home run leader at the All-Star break. He's played more right field than third base this year. Bautista is under team control for 2011.
- Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays. Encarnacion cleared waivers last month, as no team wants to assume the $2.14MM owed to him. Someone might take a chance on his power if the Jays eat his salary, but he could just be signed after the season given the expected non-tender.
- Mark Reynolds, Diamondbacks. So far Reynolds is following up his breakout '09 with an even higher strikeout rate and a .214 batting average. He's owed only $226K more this season, and then $13MM through 2012. He's not known to be available, but the contract was signed under previous GM Josh Byrnes.
- Miguel Tejada, Orioles. Tejada isn't hitting much for the O's, and he's still owed $2.71MM plus a $150K bonus if traded and $100K if he reaches 630 plate appearances.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with strong work in April and May. He has $1.58MM remaining.
- Jhonny Peralta, Indians. Peralta has a lot in common with the 2010 version of Tejada.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. His OBP and SLG aren't great, yet he remains an RBI man. He's got $2.71MM left and is known to be available.
- Wes Helms, Marlins. Occasionally, Helms still shows something against left-handed pitching.
- Alberto Callaspo, Royals. He's battling a wrist injury, but Callaspo has a decent bat for someone who can handle second and third base, and even shortstop in a pinch. He'll be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season.
- Andy LaRoche, Pirates. He was bumped to a utility role with Pedro Alvarez's promotion, not that Alvarez has fared better in his first month. LaRoche will be arbitration-eligible after the season, though he could be non-tendered.
- Jose Lopez, Mariners. Lopez switched from second base this year and has been abysmal with the bat. He hit 25 home runs last year, and only has $1.29MM remaining on his contract. He could be non-tendered after the season if his $5MM club option is declined.
- Aramis Ramirez, Cubs. Aramis usually hits well despite trips to the DL, but this year he was brutal for the season's first two months. He'd be an interesting deadline pickup, but he has $7.1MM remaining this year, a $1MM assignment bonus if traded, and a $14.6MM player option for 2011.
- Pedro Feliz, Astros. There's not much left with Feliz, aside from the $2.03MM on his contract.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. He's played only 72.6 innings in the field this year and is owed $5.41MM, so the Red Sox would have to pick up the tab.
- We've mostly discussed offense here, as the defensive samples are so small. Still, I'll mention that Lopez, Callaspo, and Reynolds have above-average UZR/150 numbers at third base this year.
- Keep in mind that overpaid players like Tejada, Ramirez, Feliz, and Lowell are candidates to be traded in August.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Mondab, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors