If your team is looking for help at third base this summer, we've got players who could conceivably be available for trade:
- Jose Bautista, Blue Jays. Amazingly, he's the MLB home run leader at the All-Star break. He's played more right field than third base this year. Bautista is under team control for 2011.
- Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays. Encarnacion cleared waivers last month, as no team wants to assume the $2.14MM owed to him. Someone might take a chance on his power if the Jays eat his salary, but he could just be signed after the season given the expected non-tender.
- Mark Reynolds, Diamondbacks. So far Reynolds is following up his breakout '09 with an even higher strikeout rate and a .214 batting average. He's owed only $226K more this season, and then $13MM through 2012. He's not known to be available, but the contract was signed under previous GM Josh Byrnes.
- Miguel Tejada, Orioles. Tejada isn't hitting much for the O's, and he's still owed $2.71MM plus a $150K bonus if traded and $100K if he reaches 630 plate appearances.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with strong work in April and May. He has $1.58MM remaining.
- Jhonny Peralta, Indians. Peralta has a lot in common with the 2010 version of Tejada.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. His OBP and SLG aren't great, yet he remains an RBI man. He's got $2.71MM left and is known to be available.
- Wes Helms, Marlins. Occasionally, Helms still shows something against left-handed pitching.
- Alberto Callaspo, Royals. He's battling a wrist injury, but Callaspo has a decent bat for someone who can handle second and third base, and even shortstop in a pinch. He'll be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season.
- Andy LaRoche, Pirates. He was bumped to a utility role with Pedro Alvarez's promotion, not that Alvarez has fared better in his first month. LaRoche will be arbitration-eligible after the season, though he could be non-tendered.
- Jose Lopez, Mariners. Lopez switched from second base this year and has been abysmal with the bat. He hit 25 home runs last year, and only has $1.29MM remaining on his contract. He could be non-tendered after the season if his $5MM club option is declined.
- Aramis Ramirez, Cubs. Aramis usually hits well despite trips to the DL, but this year he was brutal for the season's first two months. He'd be an interesting deadline pickup, but he has $7.1MM remaining this year, a $1MM assignment bonus if traded, and a $14.6MM player option for 2011.
- Pedro Feliz, Astros. There's not much left with Feliz, aside from the $2.03MM on his contract.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. He's played only 72.6 innings in the field this year and is owed $5.41MM, so the Red Sox would have to pick up the tab.
- We've mostly discussed offense here, as the defensive samples are so small. Still, I'll mention that Lopez, Callaspo, and Reynolds have above-average UZR/150 numbers at third base this year.
- Keep in mind that overpaid players like Tejada, Ramirez, Feliz, and Lowell are candidates to be traded in August.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Minor Moves: Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors