If your team is looking for help at third base this summer, we've got players who could conceivably be available for trade:
- Jose Bautista, Blue Jays. Amazingly, he's the MLB home run leader at the All-Star break. He's played more right field than third base this year. Bautista is under team control for 2011.
- Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays. Encarnacion cleared waivers last month, as no team wants to assume the $2.14MM owed to him. Someone might take a chance on his power if the Jays eat his salary, but he could just be signed after the season given the expected non-tender.
- Mark Reynolds, Diamondbacks. So far Reynolds is following up his breakout '09 with an even higher strikeout rate and a .214 batting average. He's owed only $226K more this season, and then $13MM through 2012. He's not known to be available, but the contract was signed under previous GM Josh Byrnes.
- Miguel Tejada, Orioles. Tejada isn't hitting much for the O's, and he's still owed $2.71MM plus a $150K bonus if traded and $100K if he reaches 630 plate appearances.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with strong work in April and May. He has $1.58MM remaining.
- Jhonny Peralta, Indians. Peralta has a lot in common with the 2010 version of Tejada.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. His OBP and SLG aren't great, yet he remains an RBI man. He's got $2.71MM left and is known to be available.
- Wes Helms, Marlins. Occasionally, Helms still shows something against left-handed pitching.
- Alberto Callaspo, Royals. He's battling a wrist injury, but Callaspo has a decent bat for someone who can handle second and third base, and even shortstop in a pinch. He'll be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season.
- Andy LaRoche, Pirates. He was bumped to a utility role with Pedro Alvarez's promotion, not that Alvarez has fared better in his first month. LaRoche will be arbitration-eligible after the season, though he could be non-tendered.
- Jose Lopez, Mariners. Lopez switched from second base this year and has been abysmal with the bat. He hit 25 home runs last year, and only has $1.29MM remaining on his contract. He could be non-tendered after the season if his $5MM club option is declined.
- Aramis Ramirez, Cubs. Aramis usually hits well despite trips to the DL, but this year he was brutal for the season's first two months. He'd be an interesting deadline pickup, but he has $7.1MM remaining this year, a $1MM assignment bonus if traded, and a $14.6MM player option for 2011.
- Pedro Feliz, Astros. There's not much left with Feliz, aside from the $2.03MM on his contract.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. He's played only 72.6 innings in the field this year and is owed $5.41MM, so the Red Sox would have to pick up the tab.
- We've mostly discussed offense here, as the defensive samples are so small. Still, I'll mention that Lopez, Callaspo, and Reynolds have above-average UZR/150 numbers at third base this year.
- Keep in mind that overpaid players like Tejada, Ramirez, Feliz, and Lowell are candidates to be traded in August.
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Nationals Sign Nate McLouth Reds Interested In Omar Infante Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour Nationals Designate Corey Brown For Assignment NL East Notes: Papelbon, Braves, Samardzija, Nats Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Rangers Sign Lillibridge, Wilson, Kouzmanoff Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Mets, Brewers Talked Ike Davis Twice At Meetings Twins Working Hard To Add One More Starter Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Thursday Rox Making Progress On Howell, Have Talked To Logan Diamondbacks, Angels Considered Favorites For Garza
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors