Jed Hoyer has been the general manager of the Padres since October 26th, and much of his first year is in the books. We looked at Alex Anthopoulos yesterday; now it's Hoyer's turn.
- Signed Chris Denorfia to a minor league deal - 12-18-09. This early move was a winner, as Denorfia has a .266/.324/.456 line in 189 plate appearances for the Padres.
- Acquired Scott Hairston and Aaron Cunningham from Athletics for Kevin Kouzmanoff and Eric Sogard, 1-16-10. Cunningham has hit well in 85 big league plate appearances, though he didn't do anything with 246 PAs in Triple A. Hairston has disappointed in his return campaign. Neither Kouzmanoff nor his replacement Chase Headley have hit much. This trade might ultimately be settled by comparing the careers of Sogard and Cunningham, as the veterans could be non-tendered this winter.
- Signed Jerry Hairston Jr. to a one-year, $2.125MM deal - 1-18-10. Hairston has performed as expected - versatile glove, weak bat. He deserves credit for playing an apparently passable shortstop this year.
- Signed Jon Garland to a one-year, $5.3MM deal - 1-26-10. The Garland signing was praised as a bargain at the time, and he's provided 139.3 innings of 3.55 ball. His peripheral numbers predict something closer to 4.50 from here on out, but the innings are good value at that price.
- Signed Matt Stairs to a minor league deal worth $700K - 1-26-10. A knee injury is partially to blame, but Stairs hasn't hit at all this year.
- Signed Yorvit Torrealba to a one-year, $1.25MM deal - 2-9-10. Hard to go wrong with this below-market contract, and Torrealba has pleased the Padres with a .317/.381/.400 line.
- Acquired Miguel Tejada and $1.1MM from Orioles for Wynn Pelzer, 7-29-10. It remains to be seen if a move back to the NL will rejuvenate Tejada's bat, but they needed an infielder and there wasn't much out there.
- Acquired Ryan Ludwick from Cardinals and cash from Indians, giving up Corey Kluber and Nick Greenwood, 7-31-10. Nice move by Hoyer, picking up a power hitter many people didn't realize was available. Ludwick is under team control for 2011, too.
- The key to Hoyer's first draft will be signing prep righty Karsten Whitson, opines ESPN's Keith Law. Whitson was drafted out of high school, ninth overall.
- The Padres' surprising 64-46 record and first place standing indicates Hoyer has done something right or at least not made any moves to hurt the club. He inherited the majority of the team's stellar pitching staff, so Kevin Towers deserves a fist bump. The Garland and Torrealba signings were solid, though both players might have given the San Diego discount. Hoyer's trades have yet to show a return.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Minor Moves: Adam Loewen, Matt Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors