Jed Hoyer has been the general manager of the Padres since October 26th, and much of his first year is in the books. We looked at Alex Anthopoulos yesterday; now it's Hoyer's turn.
- Signed Chris Denorfia to a minor league deal - 12-18-09. This early move was a winner, as Denorfia has a .266/.324/.456 line in 189 plate appearances for the Padres.
- Acquired Scott Hairston and Aaron Cunningham from Athletics for Kevin Kouzmanoff and Eric Sogard, 1-16-10. Cunningham has hit well in 85 big league plate appearances, though he didn't do anything with 246 PAs in Triple A. Hairston has disappointed in his return campaign. Neither Kouzmanoff nor his replacement Chase Headley have hit much. This trade might ultimately be settled by comparing the careers of Sogard and Cunningham, as the veterans could be non-tendered this winter.
- Signed Jerry Hairston Jr. to a one-year, $2.125MM deal - 1-18-10. Hairston has performed as expected - versatile glove, weak bat. He deserves credit for playing an apparently passable shortstop this year.
- Signed Jon Garland to a one-year, $5.3MM deal - 1-26-10. The Garland signing was praised as a bargain at the time, and he's provided 139.3 innings of 3.55 ball. His peripheral numbers predict something closer to 4.50 from here on out, but the innings are good value at that price.
- Signed Matt Stairs to a minor league deal worth $700K - 1-26-10. A knee injury is partially to blame, but Stairs hasn't hit at all this year.
- Signed Yorvit Torrealba to a one-year, $1.25MM deal - 2-9-10. Hard to go wrong with this below-market contract, and Torrealba has pleased the Padres with a .317/.381/.400 line.
- Acquired Miguel Tejada and $1.1MM from Orioles for Wynn Pelzer, 7-29-10. It remains to be seen if a move back to the NL will rejuvenate Tejada's bat, but they needed an infielder and there wasn't much out there.
- Acquired Ryan Ludwick from Cardinals and cash from Indians, giving up Corey Kluber and Nick Greenwood, 7-31-10. Nice move by Hoyer, picking up a power hitter many people didn't realize was available. Ludwick is under team control for 2011, too.
- The key to Hoyer's first draft will be signing prep righty Karsten Whitson, opines ESPN's Keith Law. Whitson was drafted out of high school, ninth overall.
- The Padres' surprising 64-46 record and first place standing indicates Hoyer has done something right or at least not made any moves to hurt the club. He inherited the majority of the team's stellar pitching staff, so Kevin Towers deserves a fist bump. The Garland and Torrealba signings were solid, though both players might have given the San Diego discount. Hoyer's trades have yet to show a return.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins West Notes: Gutierrez, Young, Morse, Sizemore, Cruz Mark Trumbo Trade Reactions/Fallout Mark Mulder Making Comeback Bid Four Teams Interested In Jason Hammel David Price Rumors: Tuesday Rangers Have Interest in Bartolo Colon D-Backs To Acquire Trumbo In Three-Team Trade With Angels, White Sox Rakuten President Undecided On Whether To Post Tanaka Pirates Willing To Listen On Justin Wilson Yankees Likely To Keep Gardner, Try To Trade Ichiro Towers, DiPoto, Hahn Discuss Trumbo Deal East Notes: Orioles, Gaudin, Cano, Phillies, Mets
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors