Alex Anthopoulos took over as general manager of the Blue Jays on October 3rd, 2009. Though he might make a few moves in August, most of his first year is in the books. Let's review his major moves.
- Signed John McDonald to a two-year, $3MM deal - 11-25-09. Fair price for the defensive whiz.
- Signed Alex Gonzalez to a one-year, $2.75MM deal with a club option - 11-26-09. Anthopoulos parlayed Gonzalez's strong start into a trade with the Braves for Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes (the Jays also gave up Tim Collins and Tyler Pastornicky).
- Signed John Buck to a one-year, $2MM deal - 12-16-09. Buck was well worth the price, as he is having a solid year and made the All-Star team. He's currently on the DL with a thumb injury. Anthopoulos chose not to trade Buck in July, so he has to hope the catcher's Type B status holds up.
- Acquired Kyle Drabek, Travis d'Arnaud, and Michael Taylor from Phillies for Roy Halladay and $6MM - 12-16-09. Flipped Taylor to the Athletics for Brett Wallace. Drabek tossed a no-hitter in Double A this year and has done a solid job overall. D'Arnaud has been generating impressive scouting reports, wrote Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein in June. Wallace we'll get to later.
- Acquired Brandon Morrow from the Mariners for Brandon League and Johermyn Chavez - 12-23-09. Morrow had an incredible 17-strikeout one-hitter on Sunday; he's got the best strikeout rate of any starter this year. The move was difficult to understand from the Mariners' point of view at the time it was made.
- Signed Kevin Gregg to a one-year, $2.75MM deal with two club options - 2-5-10. Credit Anthopoulos for realizing Gregg would have a decent year if his fluky home run rate returned to normal. As with Buck, the jury is still out on whether Gregg can be converted to cheap, young players.
- Signed Jose Molina to a one-year, $1MM deal with a club option - 2-19-10. Another solid free agent signing.
- Signed Adeiny Hechavarria to a four-year, $10MM deal - 4-13-10. Signed as a free agent out of Cuba, Hechavarria has a big league-ready glove and is hitting a little bit at Double A.
- Acquired Fred Lewis from Giants for cash - 4-15-10. Hard to complain about Lewis' .272/.335/.444 line so far, especially given the price.
- Signed Adonis Cardona to a $2.8MM deal - 7-13-10. Anthopoulos remained aggressive on the international free agent front, setting a record for a Venezuelan amateur with the righty's deal.
- Acquired Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes from Braves for Alex Gonzalez, Tim Collins, and Tyler Pastornicky - 7-14-10. Anthopoulos bought low on Escobar at a time most clubs might not have even realized the shortstop was available.
- Acquired Anthony Gose from Astros for Brett Wallace - 7-29-10. If you're going to nitpick one Anthopoulos move, it's probably this one.
- As for the draft, the Jays have signed three of their top four picks, with negotiations for first-rounder Deck McGuire expected to go down to the wire. Yesterday ESPN's Keith Law wrote that the Blue Jays had a "strong haul" in the draft.
- Blue Jays fans couldn't ask for more from Anthopoulos' first year. He's been aggressive on international free agents and in the draft, savvy in regular free agency, and shrewd on the trade front. It was surprising to see the Jays retain Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, Gregg, and Buck at the trade deadline, but those players may bring draft pick compensation after the season.
Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Brewers Sign Devin Williams Dodgers Claim John Baker Mets Designate Collin McHugh For Assignment Astros To Sign Mark Appel Marlins Sign Colby Suggs Marlins Place Miguel Olivo On Restricted List Padres Sign 2nd Round Pick Dustin Peterson Pirates Designate Mike Zagurski For Assignment Indians To Sign Clint Frazier Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment Padres Designate James Darnell For Assignment Tigers Sign Jonathon Crawford Padres Acquire Pedro Ciriaco Rockies Sign Alex Balog Phillies Sign Andrew Knapp Pirates Release Jose Contreras Indians Sign Clay Rapada Giants Designate Ramon Ramirez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Wiper, Healy, Finnegan, Williams Quick Hits: Appel, Padres, Jimenez, 2014 Draft Cubs Sign Second-Round Pick Rob Zastryzny NL East Links: Papelbon, Tigers, Amaro, Upton AL East Notes: Cashman, Red Sox, Myers, Orioles Cardinals Sign Oscar Mercado To Over-Slot Deal Minor Moves: Stange, Ruiz, Carter, Torra Astros Sign Second-Round Pick Andrew Thurman Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Rangers Sign Dominican Lefty Francis Cespedes Mets Sign Second-Rounder Andrew Church Tigers Sign Comp Pick Corey Knebel Mark Teahen Signs With York Revolution Mets Intend To Keep Parnell
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors