Sandy Alderson will be officially introduced as the Mets' new general manager on Friday afternoon, according to a team press release. The new GM is already making calls to set up his front office; Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Alderson has reached out to Paul DePodesta and J.P. Ricciardi to strengthen the Mets staff. Both worked under Alderson in Oakland and went on to become MLB GMs. Here are the rest of the updates on the Mets:
- Alderson's contract is for four years, reports Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
- The Mets and agent Arn Tellem, who represents Hisanori Takahashi, have received permission from MLB and the MLBPA to push back the deadline for signing Takahashi, probably for about a week, according to David Waldstein of the New York Times. Adam Rubin reported earlier today that the sides were considering extending the deadline.
- The Mets signed 16-year-old third baseman Elvis Sanchez out of the Dominican Republic, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- Royals bench coach John Gibbons will not interview for the Mets' managerial opening, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News (on Twitter). Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin could become a candidate, according to Martino.
- Alderson "almost certainly will hire a low-profile manager ... whose main focus will be to carry out the vision of the new general manager without drama," according to Sherman.
- Gibbons, Clint Hurdle, DeMarlo Hale, Bob Melvin, Terry Collins, Don Wakamatsu and Chip Hale are candidates to manager the Mets, according to Dan Martin and Joel Sherman of the Post. Joe Torre, Wally Backman and Bobby Valentine are longshots to manage the team.
- Friends of Alderson say he will look for an experienced manager, according to Sherman.
- A's special advisor Grady Fuson, who worked with Alderson in Oakland and San Diego, told Martin that Alderson will be prepared at all times. "He'll read every game report from the minors every night. He’ll know every prospect by name, height and birthday," Fuson said. "He’ll know the top 50 guys in the draft. He’ll have his hands on everything and won’t be blindsided by anything.”