Every year, non-tendered players provide teams with extra options for upside gambles and role players. This year's non-tender deadline is just over a month away, so let's take a look at last year's non-tenders:
- Of the 38 non-tenders, ten (26%) re-signed with their former club. Ryan Langerhans, Jack Cust, Adam Miller, Anthony Reyes, Raul Chavez, Mark Worrell, Jackson Quezada, Mark DiFelice, Jonny Gomes and Scott Olsen returned to their old organizations.
- Garrett Atkins signed for more than any other non-tender. He got a $4.5MM guarantee from the Orioles and the Orioles got a .214/.276/.286 line from Atkins. The Rockies must be glad they didn't offer arbitration and get stuck paying Atkins $7-8MM for that performance.
- Six players (Atkins, Matt Capps, John Buck, Kelly Johnson, Chien-Ming Wang and Jack Cust) signed for $2MM or more. Only Atkins and Wang were flops.
- Two 2009 non-tenders, Buck and Capps, made the All-Star team.
- These five non-tenders shaped the 2010 pennant race.
- Click here to check out which teams have non-tendered the most players since 2007.