- David Ortiz told reporters, including Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com, that he would still like to stay in Boston long-term. Big Papi's contract expires after the season.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports suggests the Tigers should help Miguel Cabrera find a full-time mentor to keep him focused on baseball. Cabrera was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in Florida last night.
- Adrian Gonzalez told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that he hasn't set a deadline for extension talks with the Red Sox. Gonzalez says Albert Pujols' demands won't affect his discussions with Boston (Twitter link).
- Yahoo's Jeff Passan points out that the Cardinals offered Pujols less money per season than Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeira or, assuming he finalizes his extension, Adrian Gonzalez.
- Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe shows that the Red Sox have enough money to bid on Pujols and suggests Boston will have at least passing interest in him when he hits free agency.
- Astros GM Ed Wade tells Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle that he didn't realize just how thin Houston's minor league system was when he took over after the 2007 season.
- The Yankees have definite lingering interest in Kevin Millwood, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.