Yesterday I made predictions for the 20 position players with contractual options on the horizon. Today, it's time to tackle the 10 potential free agent starting pitchers with options this offseason.
- Chris Carpenter, Cardinals: $15MM club option with a $1MM buyout. There's a good case to be made that Carpenter is worth the $14MM net price of this option on a one-year deal. He might have value to other teams at that price, but given his 10-and-5 rights I can't see the Cardinals exercising the option and then trading Carpenter. The righty turns 37 in April, but I think the Cards could hammer out a two-year deal at a lower salary. If they can't pull that off by early November or don't want to commit due to uncertainty around Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman, then I think the option will be declined.
- Adam Wainwright, Cardinals: $10MM club option for '12, $12MM for '13. These options must be decided at the same time, and no one expects Wainwright's February Tommy John surgery to prevent the Cardinals from exercising.
- Aaron Cook, Rockies: $11MM mutual option with a $500K buyout. The Rockies will certainly decline their side.
- Ryan Dempster, Cubs: $14MM player option, no buyout. The ball is in Dempster's court, and I think he'll exercise assuming a lower salary multiyear deal isn't agreed to first.
- Zach Duke, Diamondbacks: $5.5MM club option with a $750K buyout. With Duke moved to the bullpen in July, this will be declined.
- Jon Garland, Dodgers: $8MM club option with a $500K buyout. Shoulder surgery officially ended Garland's season in July, and this will be declined.
- Aaron Harang, Padres: $5MM mutual option with a $500K buyout. Harang certainly wants to stay in San Diego, and I'm leaning toward this being one of the rare mutual options that is exercised by both sides.
- Paul Maholm, Pirates: $9.75MM club option with a $750K buyout. Maholm's season ended in August with a shoulder strain. The lefty posted a 3.66 ERA and 4.07 SIERA. Interest appears mutual in an extension, but even if the shoulder issue is minor I see the Pirates declining this option.
- Roy Oswalt, Phillies: $16MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout. A condition of Oswalt's July 2010 trade to the Phillies was that his buyout would not be reduced whether it was the pitcher or the team declining. Oswalt missed over a month with a back injury this year, and his numbers have been down. Only Oswalt knows whether and where he'd prefer to pitch next year, but in November I think the Phillies will decline the option.
- C.C. Sabathia, Yankees: may opt out of remaining four years, $92MM. There appears to be little doubt Sabathia will opt out. The Yankees are still viewed as the favorite to sign him, but we don't know how much work needs to be done to find common ground.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors