ESPN's Keith Law gave his thoughts on a number of prospects during a chat with readers today, and also expounded on a few Major League items. The highlights...
- Cubs fans should be excited about Theo Epstein's "ability to turn the Cubs' baseball ops department into a process-oriented, professionally run organization. You can't run a baseball team the way they were run 20 or 30 years ago. It's a business now, one where smart decisions based on sound processes are necessary and innovation is increasingly critical."
- Law describes Brett Jackson (taken 31st overall by the Cubs in the 2009 amateur draft) as a "non-star prospect" and thinks he would be fair compensation for Epstein.
- Law doesn't think Grady Sizemore can remain healthy as an everyday center fielder. The Indians have a $9MM club option on Sizemore next season but will take their time in deciding on it, given that Sizemore just underwent knee surgery.
- Between Joey Votto and Yonder Alonso, Law would deal Alonso and "look to win" in the remaining two years that Votto is under Reds' control. Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty recently shot down rumors that the Reds were listening to offers for the reigning NL MVP.
- Law hears from his sources that J.P. Ricciardi isn't currently on the Orioles' short list of general manager candidates, as was reported on Tuesday by Law's ESPN colleague Buster Olney. Law worked for the Blue Jays' front office from 2002-06 when Ricciardi was the team's general manager.
- The Mariners "might have the best rotation in baseball by 2013 or so."
- If given a choice of signing either Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols to a seven-year contract worth the same money, Law says he would choose the younger Fielder. "Pujols is the better player right now, but even at his listed age I worry about his durability and potential decline," Law says.
- Despite Alex Avila's breakout 2011 season, Law said he still prefers Matt Wieters as the better long-term player.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brett Jackson | Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Cleveland Indians | Grady Sizemore | Seattle Mariners | Yonder Alonso
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians Nationals Interested In Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins West Notes: Gutierrez, Young, Morse, Sizemore, Cruz Mark Trumbo Trade Reactions/Fallout Mark Mulder Making Comeback Bid Four Teams Interested In Jason Hammel David Price Rumors: Tuesday Rangers Have Interest in Bartolo Colon D-Backs To Acquire Trumbo In Three-Team Trade With Angels, White Sox Rakuten President Undecided On Whether To Post Tanaka Pirates Willing To Listen On Justin Wilson Yankees Likely To Keep Gardner, Try To Trade Ichiro
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors