ESPN's Keith Law gave his thoughts on a number of prospects during a chat with readers today, and also expounded on a few Major League items. The highlights...
- Cubs fans should be excited about Theo Epstein's "ability to turn the Cubs' baseball ops department into a process-oriented, professionally run organization. You can't run a baseball team the way they were run 20 or 30 years ago. It's a business now, one where smart decisions based on sound processes are necessary and innovation is increasingly critical."
- Law describes Brett Jackson (taken 31st overall by the Cubs in the 2009 amateur draft) as a "non-star prospect" and thinks he would be fair compensation for Epstein.
- Law doesn't think Grady Sizemore can remain healthy as an everyday center fielder. The Indians have a $9MM club option on Sizemore next season but will take their time in deciding on it, given that Sizemore just underwent knee surgery.
- Between Joey Votto and Yonder Alonso, Law would deal Alonso and "look to win" in the remaining two years that Votto is under Reds' control. Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty recently shot down rumors that the Reds were listening to offers for the reigning NL MVP.
- Law hears from his sources that J.P. Ricciardi isn't currently on the Orioles' short list of general manager candidates, as was reported on Tuesday by Law's ESPN colleague Buster Olney. Law worked for the Blue Jays' front office from 2002-06 when Ricciardi was the team's general manager.
- The Mariners "might have the best rotation in baseball by 2013 or so."
- If given a choice of signing either Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols to a seven-year contract worth the same money, Law says he would choose the younger Fielder. "Pujols is the better player right now, but even at his listed age I worry about his durability and potential decline," Law says.
- Despite Alex Avila's breakout 2011 season, Law said he still prefers Matt Wieters as the better long-term player.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brett Jackson | Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Cleveland Indians | Grady Sizemore | Seattle Mariners | Yonder Alonso
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Diamondbacks Outright Alex Sanabia Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Minor Moves: Perez, Loewen, Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors