While the Red Sox and Cubs are still trying to figure out a compensation package for Theo Epstein, here are a few more items from Fenway Park....
- The Red Sox and Cubs could cross paths again over Ryne Sandberg's managerial services, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Epstein tried to hire Sandberg to manage Boston's Triple-A affiliate last year and Cubs owner Tom Ricketts is looking to mend fences with Sandberg after he was passed over for Mike Quade as Chicago's manager last year. "If Epstein hires a manager without major-league experience, he probably would have little choice but to go with Sandberg," Rosenthal writes, since if another rookie manager got the job, it "could alienate Sandberg from his former team for good."
- WEEI's Alex Speier looks at Boston's options for upgrading its troubled rotation, saying that the Red Sox will probably shy away from big free agent pitchers in the wake of John Lackey's struggles. Options like calling up a minor league arm or putting Alfredo Aceves into the rotation also wouldn't provide automatic stability.
- Speier also lists a few trade candidates like Gavin Floyd and Wandy Rodriguez are mentioned but, "according to multiple industry sources, the number and quality of available starters is expected to be so limited that those clubs that are in position to part with a potential rotation member are expected to ask for a prospect ransom that may be out of proportion with the value of the pitchers."
- Before Billy Beane passed on becoming the new Red Sox GM in the 2002-03 offseason, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that Kevin Youkilis would've been part of the compensation package that Boston would have sent to Oakland in exchange for Beane's services.
- Of all the players who had just signed a major free agent contract, Carl Crawford may have had the worst opening season of his deal, writes Justin Havens for ESPN Boston. Crawford's deal is compared to Carlos Beltran's contract with the Mets, and Havens notes that while Beltran struggled in his first year (2005) in New York, Beltran had a fantastic 2006 season.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Boston Red Sox | Carl Crawford | Chicago Cubs | Kevin Youkilis | Oakland Athletics
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors