Today's minor moves…
- The Royals signed Juan Gutierrez to a minor league deal, according to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert (on Twitter). The right-hander posted a 5.40 ERA with 11.3 K/9 and 4.4 BB/9 in 18 1/3 innings with Arizona this past season.
- The Astros released Nick Stavinoha so that he can sign with a Japanese team, according to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle. The 29-year-old spent the 2011 season at Triple-A, where he hit .270/.329/.488 in 586 plate appearances. The Hiroshima Carp are working toward a deal with Stavinoha, according to a Japanese report passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker.
- The Nationals signed Jarrett Hoffpauir to a minor league deal, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson (on Twitter). Hoffpauir, 28, posted a .281/.356/.428 for the Padres' top affiliate this past season.
- The Royals announced that the club has granted the release of minor league pitcher Mario Santiago in order for the right-hander to sign a contract with the SK Wyverns of the Korean Baseball Organization. Santiago, who turns 27 on Friday, split time between the Royals' Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2011.
- Japan's Seibu Lions signed former Rangers utility man Esteban German for $1MM, tweets Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes. The 33-year-old was removed from the Rangers' 40-man roster in November.