It's time to take a look back at the week that was here at MLBTR..
- Washington agreed to terms on a new $100MM, six-year contract extension with Ryan Zimmerman, with a club option for a seventh year worth $24MM. In conjunction with his current deal, the new agreement can keep the 27-year-old in the nation's capital through 2020 if the option is exercised. No-trade protection was said to be the final hurdle in talks and the new deal will provide Zimmerman with a full no-trade clause.
- The Padres and Cameron Maybin agreed to a five-year contract extension with an option for a sixth year. The Brian Goldberg client will get $25MM guaranteed and the option is worth $7-8MM. The extension covers Maybin's final pre-arbitration season, all three seasons of arbitration-eligibility, and one free agent year with an option for second.
- The Cardinals agreed to a five-year, $75MM contract extension with catcher Yadier Molina. The deal includes a no-trade clause and a mutual option for 2018 that's worth an additional $15MM. The 29-year-old is considered by many to be the game's best defensive catcher. His offense took a leap forward in 2011, as he posted a .305/.349/.465 line in 518 plate appearances.
- Shane Victorino is looking for a five-year contract, but is willing to take a reasonable hometown discount to remain in Philadelphia.
- After months of speculation, Jason Varitek decided to call it a career this week. The former catcher is expected to remain with the Red Sox in some capacity.
- The Reds announced a three-year extension with reliever Sean Marshall, which runs through 2015. The contract is worth $16.5MM with $2MM in performance bonuses each year, $1MM for games started and $1MM for games finished.
- The Royals signed catcher Salvador Perez to a five-year contract that includes three club options. Perez will earn a guaranteed $7MM over the course of the five-year contract, which buys out his three pre-arbitration seasons and two of his seasons of arbitration eligibility.
- Mike Napoli says talks of a new deal with the Rangers have been “squashed” for the time being.
- The Nationals are set to rely on some combination of Rick Ankiel, Roger Bernadina and Jayson Werth in center field this year, but they’re not ruling out potential acquisitions at the position.
- The Rangers signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5MM, but there are some questions regarding his eligibility. Beras has been presenting himself as a 16-year-old and if that is the case then he is not eligible to sign.
- The MLB playoffs will expand from eight to ten teams for 2012. The non-division winners in each league with the two best records will be the wild card teams, meaning it is now possible for a third-place team to reach the postseason.
- The Astros named Brett Myers their closer and his $10MM vesting option for 2013 was reworked to reflect the role change.
- The Tigers have a strong rotation, with Doug Fister, Max Scherzer, and Rick Porcello behind reigning AL Cy Young and MVP Justin Verlander but haven't ruled out trading for a fifth starter.
- Miguel Tejada hopes to return to the Athletics.
- Catcher Bengie Molina retired after spending parts of 13 seasons with the Angels, Blue Jays, Giants and Rangers. Even though he did not play in 2011, he had remained open to the possibility of returning until this week.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin have agreed to table extension talks until the season ends.
- Mark Teixeira hired agent Casey Close of Excel Sports Management to represent him. The 31-year-old will earn $22.5MM in each of the next five seasons before hitting free agency.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors