- Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he talked to Casey Close about Zack Greinke yesterday and will speak to the agent again Monday. There's no deadline for talks between the Brewers and Greinke, Close's new client.
- Melvin doesn't see "major weaknesses" on his team.
- Owner Mark Attanasio suggested the club will have the flexibility to add payroll midseason if necessary.
- Attanasio said the club is progressing nicely toward extensions for Melvin and manager Ron Roenicke. Melvin's contract expires after the 2012 season and the Brewers hold a 2013 option for Roenicke.
- Melvin confirmed extension talks will also continue with closer John Axford, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports.