With a flurry of trades and transactions marking the theme of the last seven days, let's catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The White Sox acquired Brett Myers from the Astros in exchange for right-hander Matt Heidenreich, left-hander Blair Walters and a player to be named later. The Astros will also send cash to Chicago.
- Ten players from the Astros and Blue Jays find themselves playing in a new uniform after the two teams completed a mega deal on Friday. The Astros obtained seven players from Toronto: right-hander Francisco Cordero, outfielder Ben Francisco, minor leaguers Joe Musgrove, Asher Wojciechowski, David Rollins and Carlos Perez, and a player to be named. The Astros sent left-hander J.A. Happ and right-handed relievers Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter to Toronto in the trade.
- The Cubs acquired Justin Germano from the Red Sox in exchange for cash considerations. The veteran right-hander was designated for assignment by Boston early last week to make room for Jacoby Ellsbury's return from the disabled list. In a corresponding move, the Cubs designated Jairo Asencio for assignment.
- After activating Xavier Nady off the DL, the Nationals designated the outfielder for assignment. Nady hit just .157/.211/.275 with three homers in 109 plate appearances for Washington this season.
- The Diamondbacks released Geoff Blum, who was in the second season of a two-year, $2.7MM contract signed after the 2010 campaign.
- The Orioles acquired Omar Quintanilla from the Mets for future considerations. The Mets designated Quintanilla for assignment on Tuesday to create roster space for Jason Bay.
- Brad Bergesen is headed to Arizona after the Diamondbacks claimed the right-hander from the Orioles, who designated him for assignment last week.
- The Rockies and Royals agreed to a trade that sent left-hander Jonathan Sanchez to Colorado for right-hander Jeremy Guthrie. Sanchez was designated for assignment last week following a short and disappointing stint in Kansas City.
- The Cubs signed Dominican right-hander Juan Carlos Paniagua to a contract with a $1.5MM signing bonus.
- Mark Hamburger is headed to the Astros organization after Houston claimed the right-hander off waivers from the Padres. San Diego designated the Hamburger for assignment last week.
- The Royals signed veteran catcher Jason Kendall to a minor league contract. Kendall has reported to Double-A Northwest Arkansas.
- The Yankees designated Darnell McDonald for assignment after claiming the outfielder off of waivers from the Red Sox just over two weeks ago.
- Dana Eveland cleared waivers and the Orioles outrighted him to Triple-A Norfolk.
- The Phillies outrighted right-hander Brian Sanches to Triple-A for the second time this season.
- The Red Sox designated utility player Brent Lillibridge for assignment. Boston acquired Lillibridge in the trade that sent Kevin Youkilis to the White Sox last month.
- Left-hander Will Ohman signed a minor league deal with the Reds after being designated for assignment by the White Sox earlier this month.
- The Nationals designated Rick Ankiel for assignment to create roster space for Drew Storen. He appeared in 68 games as the Nationals' center fielder and posted a .228/.282/.411 batting line with five home runs in 171 plate appearances.
- The Orioles designated Steve Pearce for assignment after the first baseman posted a .254/.321/.437 slash line in 83 plate appearances for the O's this year.
- Left-hander J.C. Romero signed a minor league deal with the Indians after opting out of a deal with the Orioles last month.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors