In today's column, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe looks at players who are candidates to be put on waivers. Big names (and contracts) such as Jayson Werth, Alfonso Soriano, and Vernon Wells top the list but, of course, being put on waivers hardly guarantees a player's exit from his respective team. Here's more from Cafardo..
- Michael Bourn could be a free agent target of the Phillies after dealing Shane Victorino. Other likely targets could be Jacoby Ellsbury of the Red Sox, Denard Span of the Twins, or the Angels’ Peter Bourjos. John Mayberry Jr. is getting a chance but the Phillies seek a dynamic player.
- Ellsbury was upset that his name was included in trade rumors with the Rangers, according to a source. Ellsbury is said to like playing for Bobby Valentine and the feeling is that he'd like to remain with the Red Sox.
- The White Sox like Kevin Youkilis, but probably not enough to pick up his $13MM option for 2013, according to one club official. The White Sox are content with him as a rental as they didn’t give up much to get him.
- The Red Sox and Rangers discussed Ellsbury and others before the deadline but Josh Hamilton's name never came up in talks.
- The Brewers' interest in catcher Kelly Shoppach was considerable after they had designated George Kottaras for assignment. The Red Sox pushed fellow catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and will offer him around again if Ryan Lavarnway shows he can handle the staff and hits well.
- The Astros could be the one and only managerial opening for the coming season, unless the Phillies part ways with Charlie Manuel.