Managers are in the spotlight more than ever in October, since in-game decisions are heavily scrutinized throughout the postseason and it’s a busy month for hirings and firings. The latest…
- Though there’s a lot of self-evaluation going on in Texas following the Rangers’ disappointing finish, manager Ron Washington will return in 2013, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Washington’s current contract covers the 2013-14 seasons.
- Candidates such as Tim Wallach, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Brad Ausmus would surely come up if the Rockies look outside of the organization for potential managers, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports (on Twitter). Jim Tracy resigned as the team's manager two days ago.
- The Red Sox will start their search for a new manager in earnest in the next few days, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney writes. Boston will start by asking the Blue Jays for permission to speak with John Farrell, Olney reports. Ausmus could be a candidate in Boston, too.
- Bobby Valentine may have been paid not to criticize the Red Sox following his dismissal, rival officials suggested to Olney. Such financial incentives are not uncommon, according to Olney.
- In case you missed it, Ozzie Guillen's future with the Marlins remains unclear.