As the hot stove continues to heat up, let's take a break from the action to catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The Yankees retained their most consistent starter from 2012 as the club has announced that it has re-signed Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year contract. Kuroda's contract is worth $15MM (plus incentives worth less than $1MM).
- John Gibbons finds himself returning to Toronto for a second managerial stint after being tapped by the Blue Jays to man the position. Gibbons served as the Blue Jays manager from 2004-08, leading the team to an even 305 wins and 305 losses, including a second-place finish in the AL East back in 2006.
- The Royals signed right-hander Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year contract through 2015. In 14 starts with the Royals, Guthrie posted a 3.16 ERA with 5.5 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9.
- The Red Sox agreed to a two-year contract with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes. The deal will net Gomes nearly $10MM over the life of the contract.
- The Cubs designated Bryan LaHair for assignment. The team and LaHair are "pursuing an opportunity" for LaHair to sign with a Japanese team.
- Manager Bud Black will spending at least another three season with the Padres after the team picked up his options for 2014 and 2015. Since taking over for former manager (and now division rival) Bruce Bochy prior to the 2007 season, Black has managed the team to a 464-509 record.
- The Mariners acquired utility player Robert Andino from the Orioles for outfielder Trayvon Robinson. Andino, 28, appeared in 127 games for the Orioles in 2012, playing second base, third base, shortstop, left field and center field.
- The Yankees claimed right-hander Mickey Storey off of waivers from Houston. The 26-year-old posted a 3.86 ERA with 10.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 30 1/3 innings at the MLB level.
- The Cubs acquired right-hander Barret Loux and a player to be named later from the Rangers in exchange for right-hander Jake Brigham.
- Kyle Blanks will earn $605K during the 2013 season as he avoided arbitration with the Padres. The right-handed hitter has a career batting line of .219/.316/.421 with 20 home runs in 488 career plate appearances.
- The Diamondbacks and Rockies agreed to a trade that sends left-handed reliever Matt Reynolds to Arizona for infielder Ryan Wheeler.
- The Reds signed utility player Emmanuel Burriss to a minor league deal. The 27-year-old posted a .213/.370/.221 batting line in 150 plate appearances.
- The Cubs signed outfielder Brian Bogusevic to a minor league contract. He posted a .203/.297/.299 batting line with seven home runs and nine doubles in 404 plate appearances.
- The White Sox re-signed Dewayne Wise to a one-year contract worth $700K. The outfielder has signed seven minor league contracts in the last three seasons.
- Shawn Camp reached an agreement with the Cubs to return to the team's bullpen next season. He tied for the MLB lead in appearances (80) and posted a 3.59 ERA with 6.3 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 47.4% ground ball rate in 77 2/3 innings.
- The Yankees signed right-hander David Herndon to a one-year contract. The split contract will pay Herndon $750K if he makes the Major League roster, plus $50K in possible incentives.
- The Padres designated right-hander Cory Burns for assignment. Burns made his Major League debut in 2012, posting a 5.50 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 18 relief innings for San Diego.
- The Red Sox designated third baseman Danny Valencia, infielder Ivan De Jesus and right-handed pitchers Sandy Rosario, David Carpenter and Zach Stewart for assignment.
- The Mariners designated Chone Figgins and Scott Cousins for assignment. Figgins signed a four-year, $36MM deal with the M's after the 2009 season but hit just .227/.302/.283 in three seasons with the team.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors