As the hot stove continues to heat up, let's take a break from the action to catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- The Yankees retained their most consistent starter from 2012 as the club has announced that it has re-signed Hiroki Kuroda to a one-year contract. Kuroda's contract is worth $15MM (plus incentives worth less than $1MM).
- John Gibbons finds himself returning to Toronto for a second managerial stint after being tapped by the Blue Jays to man the position. Gibbons served as the Blue Jays manager from 2004-08, leading the team to an even 305 wins and 305 losses, including a second-place finish in the AL East back in 2006.
- The Royals signed right-hander Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year contract through 2015. In 14 starts with the Royals, Guthrie posted a 3.16 ERA with 5.5 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9.
- The Red Sox agreed to a two-year contract with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes. The deal will net Gomes nearly $10MM over the life of the contract.
- The Cubs designated Bryan LaHair for assignment. The team and LaHair are "pursuing an opportunity" for LaHair to sign with a Japanese team.
- Manager Bud Black will spending at least another three season with the Padres after the team picked up his options for 2014 and 2015. Since taking over for former manager (and now division rival) Bruce Bochy prior to the 2007 season, Black has managed the team to a 464-509 record.
- The Mariners acquired utility player Robert Andino from the Orioles for outfielder Trayvon Robinson. Andino, 28, appeared in 127 games for the Orioles in 2012, playing second base, third base, shortstop, left field and center field.
- The Yankees claimed right-hander Mickey Storey off of waivers from Houston. The 26-year-old posted a 3.86 ERA with 10.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 30 1/3 innings at the MLB level.
- The Cubs acquired right-hander Barret Loux and a player to be named later from the Rangers in exchange for right-hander Jake Brigham.
- Kyle Blanks will earn $605K during the 2013 season as he avoided arbitration with the Padres. The right-handed hitter has a career batting line of .219/.316/.421 with 20 home runs in 488 career plate appearances.
- The Diamondbacks and Rockies agreed to a trade that sends left-handed reliever Matt Reynolds to Arizona for infielder Ryan Wheeler.
- The Reds signed utility player Emmanuel Burriss to a minor league deal. The 27-year-old posted a .213/.370/.221 batting line in 150 plate appearances.
- The Cubs signed outfielder Brian Bogusevic to a minor league contract. He posted a .203/.297/.299 batting line with seven home runs and nine doubles in 404 plate appearances.
- The White Sox re-signed Dewayne Wise to a one-year contract worth $700K. The outfielder has signed seven minor league contracts in the last three seasons.
- Shawn Camp reached an agreement with the Cubs to return to the team's bullpen next season. He tied for the MLB lead in appearances (80) and posted a 3.59 ERA with 6.3 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 47.4% ground ball rate in 77 2/3 innings.
- The Yankees signed right-hander David Herndon to a one-year contract. The split contract will pay Herndon $750K if he makes the Major League roster, plus $50K in possible incentives.
- The Padres designated right-hander Cory Burns for assignment. Burns made his Major League debut in 2012, posting a 5.50 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 18 relief innings for San Diego.
- The Red Sox designated third baseman Danny Valencia, infielder Ivan De Jesus and right-handed pitchers Sandy Rosario, David Carpenter and Zach Stewart for assignment.
- The Mariners designated Chone Figgins and Scott Cousins for assignment. Figgins signed a four-year, $36MM deal with the M's after the 2009 season but hit just .227/.302/.283 in three seasons with the team.
Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Gose, Dodgers, Relief Market Mark Teahen Granted Release From D'Backs Trade Market For Lefty Relievers Latest On Nationals, Mike Rizzo Which Players Will Be Traded This Summer? MLBTR Originals NL West Notes: Mattingly, Goldschmidt, Gregorius East Notes: Braves, Brignac, Cabrera Week In Review: 5/12/13 - 5/18/13 AL West Notes: Profar, Astros, Mariners Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment NL Central Notes: Hart, Choo, Arroyo, Cardinals Minor Moves: Barry Enright, Bill Hall Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber West Notes: Kershaw, Rockies, Rangers, Astros
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors